Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 AM

704 posts, read 2,069,802 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to by a house. There is a minister and his wife on one side. They have 3 vehicles. They have been parking one by pulling up past the back corner of the house and about half the car is in my backyard. Then on the other side, they have 4 cars and park one in front on mine and another in my driveway. Mine or whoever moves in.
The lady with 4 cars is hard to get to the door and she acts like she does not know what is going on and has all the reasons why they only have 2 cars, daughter is moving, husband will park "down" the street.

I've told them my home owner's insurance won't cover damage to their cars.

Is this correct?
If there is a storm and a tree that is in my yard has large limbs and branches that reach over into these people's yards, break and damage their cars, even if they are parked in their own yards, am I liable?

They have trees whose limbs reach over my property too.

What happens when a tree is one yard damages something in another yard?

I got an answer to the people, I'll put up fences.

Wondering the insurance issues.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Ask your insurance agent for your area's laws.

In my county, if tree limbs cross a property line, you can legally cut them back to the line at your expense. If they are fruit trees, you can pick fruit on your side. Me, I enjoy shade from trees I don't have to water.

Cars that are parked on your property (not on the street in front of, but on the property), you can have towed at their expense. Most law enforcement expect you to try to settle it yourself, though. Continue to tell them to get off and put it in writing. After a few warnings, then you go to the local law.

If a limb falls on a car, the owner's car insurance covers it first - then the car insurance company goes after the home owner's insurance.

If there are dangerous tree limbs, your insurance agent may require you to fix the tree before insuring your property.

But it's always best to ask your insurance agent - heck maybe they'd send a letter to the neighbors

Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ask your insurance agent for your area's laws.

In my county, if tree limbs cross a property line, you can legally cut them back to the line at your expense. If they are fruit trees, you can pick fruit on your side. Me, I enjoy shade from trees I don't have to water.

Cars that are parked on your property (not on the street in front of, but on the property), you can have towed at their expense. Most law enforcement expect you to try to settle it yourself, though. Continue to tell them to get off and put it in writing. After a few warnings, then you go to the local law.

If a limb falls on a car, the owner's car insurance covers it first - then the car insurance company goes after the home owner's insurance.

If there are dangerous tree limbs, your insurance agent may require you to fix the tree before insuring your property.

But it's always best to ask your insurance agent - heck maybe they'd send a letter to the neighbors
Thanks and you are hereby given a red star from me for a pleasant reply.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I would SERIOUSLY reconsider buying this house if you already have neighbor issues. It is only going to get worse once they "know" you. I would also be aware that anything that happens on your property opens you up to liability. Your neighbors could say that you gave them permission to park there, even though you didn't, then it becomes your word against their word and since they have a history of parking there you will probably be out of luck. I would pass and find something else.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:25 PM

a short 6 foot fence will stop the minister. The retired couple on the other side, if needed I'll put up a fence between their cars and mine.
I don't have any trees, but their's hang over on my land.
I'm just in the stage of looking. It is a small lot, not too wide, that is why my tree shade comes from their trees. I figured a minister on one side, a retired couple on the other, a school and playground behind and the police station 1/2 mile away made this a possibility.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
If you don't want to do the fence (because of expense or maybe appearance) you could also do something with plants over there. An evenly spaced line of shrubs along the property might look nicer, and if someone drives over your new shrubs to park then they've got bigger issues than can be mediated with a fence anyway.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you don't want to do the fence (because of expense or maybe appearance) you could also do something with plants over there. An evenly spaced line of shrubs along the property might look nicer, and if someone drives over your new shrubs to park then they've got bigger issues than can be mediated with a fence anyway.

Good luck.
thanks

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM

494 posts, read 890,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Good luck.
Throw in some big landscaping rocks for good measure. In any case if you do buy the place, make sure from day one that you are very clear about your expectations for your property and keep after your neighbors to respect it.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM

475 posts, read 1,305,340 times
Take it from someone who lives next to neighbors with parking issues, DO NOT BUY THE HOUSE!!!!!!

My husband and I moved into a nice,clean,beautiful street 6 years ago, then the nice couple next door moved out and in moved a trailer, a boat, and 4 cars which all park on the street or in front of my house. Lets not forget the girlfriends cars that also park on the street. My street seriously looks like a parking lot since these people moved in. My husband and I have contemplated moving because we can't stand the fact the we can barely get in and out of our own driveway. Heck I came home one day to find my neighbors son had actually parked in my driveway because he thought I wasn't home, lest the fact his truck leaked oil into my freshly power washed driveway. The poor guy across the street tried to talk to these people when his wife was really sick because an ambulance could not fit through the street, what happend, nice guy got cursed out and almost got punched by neighbor for simply asking him not to park on the street in front of his house or ours in case he needed to call for help. Trust me these people will drive you insane so save yourself the trouble and find a different house.

PS: NO hoa's in my subdivision.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
If its a public street, and they are legally parked, there not much you can do. You don't 'own' the parking spaces in front of your house.
As a btw My HOA rules does not allow parking in your driveway, there rules say you must keep your car in your garage, Few years ago we had a HOA prez who was on this, having the HOA send out notices to anyone who was parked in there driveway. So we all moved them into the street, Our streets (Public owned/maintained) so HOA rules can not be enforced on them. With everyone in the street it took our road down to 1 lane. After few weeks of the HOA, stopped the no cars in the driveway rules (still on the books but not enforced).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance