Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 AM

10 posts, read 26,689 times

Advertisements

I made a substantial loan {>$4K} to someone in a different state a year ago. I still have not gotten paid back, however, I have a list of excuses and promises from them. How do I go about filing a judgment if they live in a different state? A 4 hour drive from my home.

I have my cancelled checks as proof of the loans, and emails documenting the loans and some emails making what has turned out to be idle promises and stonewalling tactics, sadly..

Can anyone give me advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,779,474 times
Take them to Small Claims Court . Not sure if it has to take place in the state the loan occured.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM

that is my big question .... do I have to file in their state????

Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,450,588 times
It would be my guess that it depends on your state laws. In California, the rules state that

"As a general rule, a case must be filed in the county (and area of court location) in which the defendant resides. This general rule promotes fairness, since it's usually easier for a defendant to defend a case if it's filed in the locality where the defendant resides. However, there are many exceptions to this general rule. If you need help in deciding in what county or area of court location to file, contact a small claims adviser."
(Taken from the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs)

Edit - found this on Ehow.com:
"While most states will not allow you to file a small claims suit against someone who lives out of state (there are a few exceptions), you can file your case in the other party's state" (Rest of the article at the link)

Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Default many thanks

to Gandalara,
Thanks for the advice ... I live in NY, it is probably the same here ... :::sigh:::.
I wonder if I can do it by proxy. Can I hire a lawyer in the other state (on the east coast) to represent me? Or should I just take the 4 hour drive south and do it there, in some G-d forsaken place that I would never set foot in if I had the choice?

I will google eHow and see what I can find. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie614 View Post
to Gandalara,
Thanks for the advice ... I live in NY, it is probably the same here ... :::sigh:::.
I wonder if I can do it by proxy. Can I hire a lawyer in the other state (on the east coast) to represent me? Or should I just take the 4 hour drive south and do it there, in some G-d forsaken place that I would never set foot in if I had the choice?

I will google eHow and see what I can find. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.
You can file the lawsuit by mail. Then you just show up on the hearing date. 9 times out of 10 the defendant does not appear and you get a default judgment. Then you can take that judgment and garnish wages, attach bank accounts and, depending on your state laws, can even have the sheriff confiscate personal property to compensate you for damages.

If you go to small claims court, you have to appear yourself. If you go to circuit court or associate circuit court you can hire an attorney to represent you.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance