Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,340 times

Advertisements

My Capital One Money Market rate has fallen behind the pack lately....they're stuck at 2% for months now.

Looking at some of the other alternatives out there, I see a bank called UFB Direct has a nice rate of 2.45% compounded daily. That's a big enough difference to make the move, and setup the ACH Transfers and such.

Has anybody had any dealings with UFB ?? Their parent back is AXOS, can't quickly confirm where they're headquartered, but they have an FDIC coverage and an MLS#

Also -- Is there a significant difference between compounding Daily vs Monthly ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Don't fall for the no name banks...they have huge restrictions on pulling money out. Last time I looked it would've taken me several months to pull all my money out because of the low dollar per day limit. Total BS.

In general the effective rate difference is so low it's not worth it...do the math and see how much extra you'd make, it's likely not worth thinking about.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Don't fall for the no name banks...they have huge restrictions on pulling money out. Last time I looked it would've taken me several months to pull all my money out because of the low dollar per day limit. Total BS.

In general the effective rate difference is so low it's not worth it...do the math and see how much extra you'd make, it's likely not worth thinking about.

I never heard of UFB (Unidentified Flying Bank ?? ). I thought AXOS sounded like that Cyprus Bank that was laundering rubles for the Russians !!

Their advertised rate is 0.45% higher that Capital One. On $25K that would be about $110 per year (If my math is correct !! ). Yeah, probably not worth moving for 10 bucks a month.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:26 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I don’t find huge restrictions to be common in this space. Your are limited to number of withdrawals monthly in a savings account before you have to pay a fee but that is standard procedure

Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Fretting over less than half a point in an evolving climate, unless you have millions in your MM account, is... pretty pointless.

Do the math, and if you really care about maximized long-term growth, get those funds the hell out of an MM.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Fretting over less than half a point in an evolving climate, unless you have millions in your MM account, is... pretty pointless.

Do the math, and if you really care about maximized long-term growth, get those funds the hell out of an MM.

I did the Math, albeit in my head ;_) At 10 bucks a month.....it's not worth jumping ship. This is our Emergency Fund and it is ACH connected to our local checking for quick access.

I just wish Capital One would get with the program here -- they used to be among the leaders.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
Move the funds to a CD ladder.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:48 AM

I already have a CD Ladder at Navy FCU. This Money Market is the Emergency Fund -- Stage 1 (Break Glass in Case of Emergency).

Having talked this thru was helpful.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
I have my emergency fund in Cap One, up to FDIC-insured amount I am not concerned about a fraction of a percent difference. Do well in your investment with much bigger chunk of money and you should not have to worry about how your e-fund is doing.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
I’m not sure how wealthy y’all are but if I can make 100-300+ bucks a year more with no risk and 5-10 minutes worth of work I’m going to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance