Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

I have got a letter from the collection agency for my apartment move out charges for $1100.

Here are my charges:

Tub-Heavily soiled-Acid Wash completed-90$. (Not possible. My wife and I cleaned the apartment for 2-3 days before we left the apartment. My wife cleaned the bath tubs with bleach before we left the apartment. )

Ozone-Apartment to remove odor-50$-(Not possible. My wife and I cleaned the apartment for 2-3 days before we left the apartment. My wife is a housewife and a cleanliness freak)

Full Paint-Crayon all over walls-223.10$- (might be true up to some extent. Crayon paints were there at a couple of places which was cleaned before we left the apartment. Does not the apartment retouch the paint before giving it to a new tenant?? )

Apartment left dirty-136$. (Not possible. My wife and I cleaned the apartment very very throughly, for 2-3 days before we left the apartment.)

Carpet stained throughout-Unable to save-Had to replace-573.10$ (Not possible at all. I don't remember any stains at all on the carpet floor. )

the remaining charges were utility charges.

I plan to pay the utilities charges and ask the landlord to adjust my deposit of 100$ against other expenses she might have incurred for getting my apartment ready for the next tenant.

my apartment Landlord says that she did not have my correct contact address. They had my contact phone number. Therefore I did not receive any letter from my apartment. I was never contacted on the phone.

I did not take move out pictures\videos nor did I requested a walk out inspection.

What can the collection agency if I refuse to pay this amount?? I now live in my own house and it does not worry me if they report this comes in my credit report.

I lived in an apartment complex in dallas for 2 years and got 0$ as the move out charges.
I lived in another apartment complex in dallas for 6 months and got a bill on 70$ odd. I believe this was charged since I lived there for such a short time.

I have never paid my bills late. I have excellent credit history(720+)

I presently live in Plano, texas.

Please advise.

Last edited by ajitgoel; 09-16-2010 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
how long after you moved out did it take for the landlord to contact you? it varies by state, but they are required to inform you in writing of any reasons why they are keeping security deposit or charging you, and the list must be itemized. sounds like you got an itemized list, but how long did it take? contact the city hall, they may have someone who does tenant's rights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance