Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,795 times

Advertisements

I purchased a used car through a dealership almost 2 years ago and purchased GAP coverage on the loan with the finance department. I ended up paying off this car in about 10 months (originally a 48 month loan) and then requested the dealer refund to me the remaining prorated amount of the GAP coverage that wasn't used (approximately $250 or so). The dealership sent me a check for the $250 in the mail, and I have since been under the impression that I was all set. Again, it has been almost 2 years since I purchased this vehicle, and almost a year that this car has been paid off (title in hand and all).

Just recently the dealership sent me a letter that they realized they accidentally refunded me the prorated GAP amount twice, because the payoff on the loan was actually reduced by the prorated amount at the time of the payoff (loan payoff was $250 less). I obviously never noticed this, and apparently neither did they for a good year or so. I checked my credit recently and saw that my auto loan is listed satisfied as agreed on my report. Although my loan is officially paid and satisfied, can they technically send this $250 double reimbursement to collections if not reimbursed? Obviously this is annoying considering it took them a year to figure out their error, but I also understand that this sort of accounting mistake may happen more often than I think. What action can the dealer take?

Very curious, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
If you pay back, it's done with. If you don't and they do take it to collections, you'll have to pay and take a hit.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
You've acknowledged that you received an extra $250 reimbursement and the dealership is now requesting that you return the erroneous refund that you received. WTH difference does it make whether they can send it to collections? Why are you even asking the question? Don't be a douche. Just pay back the money.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Well, I love how they can screw up and more than a year later come and ask for their money back.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
if they had sent less then you found out I imagine you would want more.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
you could always negotiate. I doubt they'd take the time to file anything in court over this amount, then again, you could settle at that time when you get the paper work if they do. You might want to go over your records again and make sure that they are in fact owed the money.

Read the paperwork from the acquisition, check the amounts you sent them, follow the paper trail. OR....just pay them, either way you're out time or money, or both. How much is your time worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance