Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,541,531 times

Advertisements

Help me out here people.

I am going through a divorce. I am losing my house because it is about 30,000 underwater. I am having to file for bankruptcy because of this plus some other debts.

My lawyers are wanting my wife to file with me because she has about 15,000 credit card debt. My wife and I get along it just isn't working, so this isn't some sort of cutthroat divorce. I have told her I will help her out once my bankruptcy is over paying off her debt. I am trying to tell her that bankruptcy isn't just a get out of debt free card. It is a last resort that if you can avoid it, you really need to.

Am I wrong on this? The lawyers keep telling her to do this. I am telling her not to. I will have a bankruptcy on my credit for 10 years. I dont think it is necessary to have both of us with that on our credit over a "cheap car loan" type amount of debt.

Help me out here. Is there anything I can tell her more to explain why she doesn't want to file for bankruptcy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
One question: can she afford her payments? what is her annual income? If it's under $30k, it will take her FOREVER to dig out from the crushing amount of debt.

I am usually not a BK proponent, but if you are still married and are relatively low income, you probably should filke BK jointly and wipe the slate clean. Depending on the type of BK filed, yes, it can basically make the cc debt go away for good.

It's too hard to answer the question without having more background info, but I guess I don't understand why YOU feel like YOU should get to file & have a clean slate, but SHE shouldn't get to? Did you not own your home together? Did you not have credit cards in both your names?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,541,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
One question: can she afford her payments? what is her annual income? If it's under $30k, it will take her FOREVER to dig out from the crushing amount of debt.

I am usually not a BK proponent, but if you are still married and are relatively low income, you probably should filke BK jointly and wipe the slate clean. Depending on the type of BK filed, yes, it can basically make the cc debt go away for good.

It's too hard to answer the question without having more background info, but I guess I don't understand why YOU feel like YOU should get to file & have a clean slate, but SHE shouldn't get to? Did you not own your home together? Did you not have credit cards in both your names?
No. Home is only under my name. Credit cards are in only our names.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,946,150 times
When my MIL divorced her 2nd husband, he filed for bankruptcy, she did not. They came after her for all his debt - community property, community debt - despite the divorce decree that divided up the debt, she was still responsible. This is most likely why the attorneys wants her to file as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,226 times
What sskkc said. Especially if the debts are in both your names, they will go after her for everything. If she's not financially capable of taking on that kind of debt load all at once, wipe the slate clean. Keep in mind that once divorced, she is only 1 job/income loss away from not being able to pay her bills. Can she keep up the payments if there is a chance she had no income?

Also, if you file BK and choose not to take out all of your debt (assuming those accounts are jointly owned by you), you're running a risk of the judge questioning your intentions or throwing out the BK altogether. Then what?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 AM

18 posts, read 21,085 times
I think you should file bankruptcy jointly.... you do not need to take all the pain. you probably should file BK jointly and wipe the slate clean. Depending on the type of BK you should hire a perfect attorney.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Don't worry about your future credit. You don't need it, and you don't want it, and that should be pretty clear to you by now. Live in rental housing for the next ten years, drive a used car, don't buy anything unless you have the money for it, and you will be amazed how rich you are in 2021. At least, you won't have negative net wealth.

As for the morality of bankruptcy, you have probably already paid more than the amount of your debt, in interest, fees, penalties and late charges over the life of your loans. They have their money, or rather, they have your money. Start keeping it yourself.

Get it over with, start the rest of your life at zero, and spend less than you earn. There's nothing wrong with having a friend for an ex-wife.

By the way, the first week after your bankruptcy, you will get about 100 credit card approvals in the mail. They take great comfort in the knowledge that you can't stick them with bankruptcy again for the next seven years, and now they like their chances a lot better than they did before. Don't let them back in the drivers seat of your finances.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-10-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,402,612 times
I agree with jtur's take. The divorce should be looked at as a business transaction. Both of you should file together and start over with a "clean" slate. Neither of you need to be living with any sort of "credit" or debt mentality again, at least for a very long time.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,772,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Don't worry about your future credit. You don't need it, and you don't want it, and that should be pretty clear to you by now. Live in rental housing for the next ten years, drive a used car, don't buy anything unless you have the money for it, and you will be amazed how rich you are in 2021. At least, you won't have negative net wealth.

As for the morality of bankruptcy, you have probably already paid more than the amount of your debt, in interest, fees, penalties and late charges over the life of your loans. They have their money, or rather, they have your money. Start keeping it yourself.

Get it over with, start the rest of your life at zero, and spend less than you earn. There's nothing wrong with having a friend for an ex-wife.

By the way, the first week after your bankruptcy, you will get about 100 credit card approvals in the mail. They take great comfort in the knowledge that you can't stick them with bankruptcy again for the next seven years, and now they like their chances a lot better than they did before. Don't let them back in the drivers seat of your finances.
Beaaaaaaaaauuutifullly Spoken !

Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
The lawyers keep telling her to do this.
Fire them and find new attorneys. Bankruptcy attorneys are a dime a dozen.

Also, your, um, slate is wiped clean only if your income is less than the median income for one person in your state.

In other words, you DO NOT automatically get a Chapter 7 (which is the only one that discharges debts without you having to pay).

If it isn't, you'll have to make payments for 5 years before your bankruptcy is discharged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance