Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That could be real problematic... many places do not have Internet and some are limited to dial-up which is almost useless if the site has graphics that gobble band with.

If money is no object... Satellite might work... then again, I know folks living in Washington State that have not been able to get Satellite because trees on their neighbors property would have to be topped or taken down.

These are all places with regular roadside mail delivery...
True, for now. But if you check those tiny little mandatory fees on your phone bill, you'll learn that one of them funds putting high speed internet in even the most remote of places. Why on your phone bill, I still haven't a clue. So, one day soon, everyone in this country should have internet access, no matter how remote their house. Some cities even have 911 via means other than calling in. Blows my mind, but it doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
I agree, we that we're being forced to pay electronic.....

Look at all the services that now charge you a fee to pay your bill by Customer Service, Comcast even has the nerve to charge 2$ to pay by the Automated System.....Verizon tried to charge a fee to pay your bill by in-store rep, the payment machine, and Customer service, anything but Online or old fashion mailing it in.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not paying any company to take my money, I will cancel service first.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
In my 75+ years I have been ripped off so mant ways it would fill a book...........of course if I could remember them all. LOL

I still think you online bill payers are setting yourself for a loss sometime by having your bank account numbers on your electronic devices. Presently only 4 enities have my bank numbers. If my accounts are depleted, one of the four has been hacked. IMO
if you mail a check your banking numbers are on those too

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That could be real problematic... many places do not have Internet and some are limited to dial-up which is almost useless if the site has graphics that gobble band with.

If money is no object... Satellite might work... then again, I know folks living in Washington State that have not been able to get Satellite because trees on their neighbors property would have to be topped or taken down.

These are all places with regular roadside mail delivery...
thats now, this wont be the case in 10 or so years

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
if you mail a check your banking numbers are on those too
Very true............but how many machines have your numbers and for how long?

It has been two years now trying to get someone to put eyes on some dividend check addresses as the company's annual summery says I am getting the dividends to report to the IRS. Machines are good for certain things but we don't always speak their language.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
thats now, this wont be the case in 10 or so years
It couldn't be fast enough... the folks I mentioned live about 10 minutes from the Capital Dome in Olympia WA... they were quoted $13,000 to have comcast connect to their 35 year old home... Sat wasn't an option because of the heavy forest canopy... and cell is a dead zone because the area has a ban on Cell Towers...

Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 AM

16 posts, read 16,977 times
Banking online is not good if you are hacked. Anyone can be hacked. I have had important e-mails deleted despite having a firewall and a complicated password. Photos have been deleted.

I did have autopay for a loan and I was sent a notice that my payments were behind. They stopped pulling the payment and then wanted to charge me late fees because they did not take the payment.

Online works IF there are no problems.

4 companies have used the "mail was not delivered". One company held a check for 6 months. They did rescind the late fee after the payment was made 3 times for the same bill. They also credited back to the bank the extra payments.

Now a company holds the check past the due date. The missing check is deposited after the duplicate check has been cashed. "It's not their fault that the check was not cashed on time.

Options..... online banking that can be hacked
having two checks for one bill cashed
paying money to stop the orginal check from being cashed
paying money for certified mail

As my bank said.... if the checks before and the checks after posted in a timely matter, the missing one in the middle is being held by the company.

Last edited by harold saxon; 01-18-2016 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: word missed

Old 01-18-2016, 12:40 AM

16 posts, read 16,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Tricks? No one is tricking you.
You know when the bills are due, no matter whether you feel you have 30 days or 16 days.

Pay upon receipt, online.
Simple as that.

My Discover closes on the 24th. TODAY I paid it in full, online... before the statement came to the house.
If online works it is great. If it doesn't it is a hassle. Online can be hacked. Bills set up for auto pay can be charged late fees if the autopay is not done.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:34 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I mailed my credit card payment on June 13th. It was due the 28th. As of yesterday, they never got it and the check has not cleared my account.

This brings up an interesting question.
Since the bill cycle is supposed to be a month, but their bills do not arrive until 14 days before the due date, what would prevent my credit card company (or any company) from receiving my payment, for example on June 24th.
But hold it for 5 days and then like magic "oh thank you so much for your payment, ooops, we did not get it until it was late, shame on you, we have to charge you the late fee."

The late fees are large and there was a note that being late could allow them to raise my % rate to 29.99%. All because I only have 14 days to pay them on a 30 day billing cycle, and the fact that credit card companies have alot of tricky rules designed to gouge people.
What prevents my credit card company from holding my payments? First, I pay online. Second, I have the power to close the card if they even try such nasty tricks.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
I set ours to auto pay the minimum each month, then I pay off the rest by paying online. But just in case I "forget" at least there's no late fees involved.
I do this too. They get two payments per month basically.

Also, I do it all online. Once or twice over the past ten years or so, a payment has been "late." I've been able to successfully dispute the late charge because I had a record that I had paid it long before the due date via online banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance