Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

How many people do you know would suffer if the Gov can't pay Social Security anymore?

My two retired aunts would suffer, and they get around $1050 SSI. One lives in the Philippines where that money means a lot. I wonder how my other aunt would pay bills in her house in Cicero.

I would suffer too. Can't make anymore purchases and I'd have to ask my mom to pay my internet and car insurance. Or else I can drop car insurance and just not drive. - Do everything by bike which I'm well prepared to do. Even food, - I can't afford food unless I ask mom for money. I got food stamps but that's only $16 per month.

I think there would be a big uproar of American people complaining about their Social Security checks. This could hurt a lot of old people and make them go homeless. It's deadly to be a Sr Citizen and homeless, and I don't think you'd survive long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Are you talking JUST social security, or disability too? I assume if SS stops being sent, so would disability, correct?

Anyhow - I have an aunt and uncle who are retired so they would suffer, so would my mother's best friend and husband. If disability is affected also, then my neighbor, my mom's good friend, her son.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I'm a Disabled Veteran and I assume that both my Social security and VA payments will stop.
About a third of the elderly in Nursing Homes are "spent down" so the nursing homes won't get paid.
So I assume they would go to family or the Knacker.
Hospitals and Doctors who depend on Medicare will be closing too

Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You mean "if the government DOESN'T" pay it anymore. They can, but there is a political faction what wants them to refuse to renege on the agreement to do so.

What a lot of people find hard to comprehend, is that the people I don't know are just as important as the people I do know, and I don't advocate social or economic policy on the basis of whether it benefits my personal circle of friends and associates and social equals.

My position on gay rights, for example, does not depend on how many gay people I know. My position on the war on drugs is not dependent on how many people I know who are in prison for drug offenses. My position on undocumented aliens does not depend on who I know that is an illegal.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
social security has taken in more money than it has paid out since it was created until this past year. how could it possibly not have money to pay out benefits anytime soon?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:50 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
Supposedly, social security is practically bankrupt. I've been hearing this for over twenty years. I have one question.

Many people die every year that have paid into the social security system, but never withdrew a dime because they were too young. That's lots of money into the system that should be extra padding to prevent the system's bankruptcy. How does the gov. account for this extra money?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
My mother...its all the income she has now. Id have to drop everything and throw myself into helping her. Which Id do, but still.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Are you talking JUST social security, or disability too? I assume if SS stops being sent, so would disability, correct?

The whole Social Security system is in trouble; regular SS and SSDI.

Now I view my future SSDI payments as uncertain. If they have a problem making the August 3rd payment what will stop them from having problems in future payments beyond that?

Now if I don't get future payments I have to cut my Netflix, insure just 1 car, and lower my internet plan. If future SSDI payments are lowered I can get an increase in food stamps unless they cut that too.

The problem is that the Gov shouldn't cut needy programs for the poor, retired, and disabled. They should increase corporate taxes through fewer tax loopholes and tax the rich a little bit more.

And they shouldn't make the retirement age go higher. It's hard to work when you're 65 to 66+. My aunt quit 1 year early because she was old.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Now if I don't get future payments I have to cut my Netflix, insure just 1 car, and lower my internet plan. If future SSDI payments are lowered I can get an increase in food stamps unless they cut that too.
You'll be just fine without Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

The problem is that the Gov shouldn't cut needy programs for the poor, retired, and disabled. They should increase corporate taxes through fewer tax loopholes and tax the rich a little bit more.
Throwing in these random changes to the tax system without fixing it overall is unfair. Fix the entire system so it's fair.

You cannot close loopholes/deductions without scrapping progressive tax.

I suppose my parents will miss their $4600 or whatever per month they get combined.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-18-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You'll be just fine without Netflix.
Exactly. The last time I checked having Netflix, more than 1 car, and personal Internet connections at home were luxuries. Things the middle class survived perfectly well without until the past 10-30 years.

"Suffering" -as this thread's title says- means not being able to eat or cool your home on a 100 degree day. Or not be able to pay rent or your mortgage. Canceling a movie subscription is NOT suffering. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance