Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
I have four show dogs that do Agility. I also have a separate account set aside for them for vet bills. I never let that account go below 10k. Last year I almost lost my best agility dog, after 2 opinions, she was only 5, and very healthy, we found the problem. She cost 5k, for the bills. I now have 17k in that account, so it's been a good year....knock on wood.

I'm not sure if I'd take out a 2nd on my house, but I'd do just about anything if the survival rate was good, and the dog could live pain free.
Do you make money off of your dogs, as in prize money for winning competitions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:14 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Curious what you think on this as I was on another forum and a poster responded that he/she would take out a 2nd mortgage to save their pet's life.

Is it Practical? Is it Responsible?
No, it is not practical or responsible. I am tired of people treating pets like children. I also don't think most renters should have pets. They severely limit your housing options, and I've seen and heard of so many situations with renters who can't find a place to rent because of their big dog or whatever. People need to think about all this stuff before they get pets, but the don't, and it really annoys me. You might also say it's a pet peeve of mine .

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
I would rather spend 1 million on my pet than 1 million on my ungreatful kids that would push you down the stair in 2 seconds for the money my doggie is so happy to see me after being gone for 5 minutes. people don't even like me an my dog loves me for being me!!
Sorry, must suck to be you.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In America, 63% of all households pay the cost of maintaining a pet. which in the case of a dog, averages $30,000 for the lifetime of the animal. I find it paradoxical that, at the same time, there is a widespread perception that the general population is experiencing economic uncertainty and stress.

The USDA distributes $70-billion a year in food stamps. Americans spend $40-billion a year on pet food.
That number is really hyperbolic. I mean, quoting the top estimate and calling it an average is just strains credibility. The yearly cost estimates I've seen are actually somewhere in the $1,100-$3,500 range. And I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it is on the lower side of that range for almost everybody outside of movie stars and owners of championship pointers. After all, a 30-pound bag of dog food costs $15 and the annual shots at the vet runs $100-$200.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The day I put a $0.00 price on taking care of my animals, I will have given up my humanity and my compassion. You can put me to sleep then.

Sometimes, it makes sense to care for an animal, other times not. I won't keep one alive that is in dying and in pain but I'll keep one that is dying comfortable (my current situation) or pay to fix one up that has had an accident, like my cat did four years ago. It would be different if I didn't have the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah I agree. I look at some of the responses on here and just think " wow, I sure hope that some of these people dont own pets, I feel sorry for the animal if they do."

Someone who thinks of their animal as just "property"..... no more value than their x-box or playstation...... definately shouldn't own one.

I'm kind of in the happy medium of all this though. I cant really say how much I would spend on the animal because there are too many factors to consider i.e. how attached I am to the animal, the animals current age, quality of life after treatment, etc. etc. However, I can say that I don't think I would go into actual financial debt to save the critter.
So your answer is $0.00 too or am I missing something?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
It's all relative to how much money you have. If I had $10 million I'd happily spend $1 million. The best thing you can do though is to buy pet insurance. It has saved me a LOT. And it prevent you having to make such difficult decisions when the bill gets into the thousands.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM

54 posts, read 265,475 times
some folks considered pets their children, so would you take a sec mortgage to save your children's life?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It's all relative to how much money you have. If I had $10 million I'd happily spend $1 million. The best thing you can do though is to buy pet insurance. It has saved me a LOT. And it prevent you having to make such difficult decisions when the bill gets into the thousands.
Spending $1 million when you have $10 million is not going into debt.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Yep;its no ones business what you spend your money just as I could careless what people spend on their cars;boats etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
So your answer is $0.00 too or am I missing something?
Yes, You are missing something. The missing word here is ** DEBT. **
He did not say he wouldn't cut a $xx.xx check at the vet from his checking account. He is saying if he did not have $xx.xx to spend on his pet, he would not BORROW $400 and go into debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance