Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,451,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would say because I just don't feel like sharing that information. And it honestly has nothing to do with what someone may feel I am "worth". I could care less.

I will say this. My close friends and family do know how much I make. Those types of conversations have definitely come up. Just like those close to me know lots of information about me that others will never know.

Question for you. Is there any bit of information you wouldn't readily share with others? Either people close to you or people you really don't know well (or at all)?
Sure. But money is not one. I am fine with sharing the money info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Sure. But money is not one. I am fine with sharing the money info.
Do you think the same reasons you have information you don't want to share could be the same reasons other don't want to share salary information?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,111,709 times
I didn't have any problem sharing that info a long time ago when I was very young and really didn't make much or have much. All of you on here that think sharing this info is a good idea, do you have much to be telling about?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Do you think the same reasons you have information you don't want to share could be the same reasons other don't want to share salary information?
No. Most of the information that I do not want to share has mostly to do with safety issues, not with ego. Paycheck is mistakenly tied to personal worth in this culture.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I didn't have any problem sharing that info a long time ago when I was very young and really didn't make much or have much. All of you on here that think sharing this info is a good idea, do you have much to be telling about?
So are you saying that people who make little would be more likely to want to share than those who make lots? Nice topic to study.

Reality is pretty much all Americans feel the need to hide the info:

Those who "make" little - because of shame of not being judged inadequate.
Those who make "moderate" - because of competition from the Jones-es, hence shame for being judged not adequate enough.
Those who make lots - because of fear of resentment and jealousy.

All in all, it boils down to the same thing.
The belief that money = personal worth when it doesn't.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,780,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I personally think its tacky and disrespectful, but in my culture with Filipinos it's almost normal. TV show hosts ask contestants "what do you do and how much do you make?" I've had family members ask me at get togethers "how much do you make?" in front of many other people. With Americans in general it's extremely tabboo to ask anyone that question. We make assumptions based on the answer of "So what do you do?" but it's a huge no no to ask someones salary. Why do you think it's so tabboo in the US?
Is it true in the first place? I don't think so. Americans talk much more readily about their income than many other peoples, for instance Germans, where asking for someone's income is like asking an American about their sexual orientation

Anyway, I guess the problem with it is that most people still confuse income with achievement. If you say you earn 10k a year, they think you are unqualified, stupid, lazy, or whatever, and thus underclass, which most people try to avoid.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

Either way though, I think it's the wrong question in any case. The right question is how much are you keeping, that outcome tells a whole lot more about a person than the income....

Both questions together are right, since how much you are keeping makes sense only in context with income.

If someone makes $12K and keeps $1K, that to me is a lot more impressive than someone making $5M and keeping $50K

Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM

27,652 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
All in all, it boils down to the same thing.
The belief that money = personal worth when it doesn't.
It makes no difference whatsoever whether or not YOU believe this. Society around you believes this and treats you accordingly. That's why it's such a big deal.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-22-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
No. Most of the information that I do not want to share has mostly to do with safety issues, not with ego. Paycheck is mistakenly tied to personal worth in this culture.
So what about the information that falls outside of "mostly"? Why do you not share that information?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
So what about the information that falls outside of "mostly"? Why do you not share that information?
It's really all related to safety. I have nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance