Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,070 times

Advertisements

Are collection agencies allowed to call me until I die or what?

About 15 to 16 years ago, I stupidly let my husband, later ex-husband, purchase computer equipment on two different credit cards in my name. Total under $2000. He promised to take responsibility for the payments in our divorce papers and he never paid one dime. The two companies went out of business years ago.

I still get phone calls from collection agencies! Looks like the accounts go from one agency to another and then the phone calls start up again. I'm not saying I'm right in not paying the bill, but really ... after 15 years, do they think they are going to get something? The bills don't show on my credit and I've had perfect credit otherwise. Are they allowed to call and harass after 15 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Are collection agencies allowed to call me until I die or what?

About 15 to 16 years ago, I stupidly let my husband, later ex-husband, purchase computer equipment on two different credit cards in my name. Total under $2000. He promised to take responsibility for the payments in our divorce papers and he never paid one dime. The two companies went out of business years ago.

I still get phone calls from collection agencies! Looks like the accounts go from one agency to another and then the phone calls start up again. I'm not saying I'm right in not paying the bill, but really ... after 15 years, do they think they are going to get something? The bills don't show on my credit and I've had perfect credit otherwise. Are they allowed to call and harass after 15 years?
As long as they keep selling the loan off to other collection agencies, yes -- they will keep calling. Don't pay, don't promise to pay and tell them to stop calling.

Heck -- someone used MY phone number and I was getting calls for some guy I didn't know , and I had a devil of a time getting them to realize it. What finally worked is telling them to check the phone books back to 1988 -- they'd find out I've had this number since then.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
They can try to collect forever, however the statute of limitations for debt collection in Virginia is 3 years so they can't sue you for the debt at this point. So when they call just tell them to go pound sand because they aren't going to get any money from you. If you let them know that you are aware that the statute of limitations has expired they may give up for awhile, but that doesn't mean that some other "scavenger" collection agency won't wind up with it down the road and try again.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 AM

23,654 posts, read 12,569,566 times
SOL is an affirmative defense, meaning that they can try to sue if they really want to and it would be up to you to answer with a claim of SOL and to show up in court to defend that position.

If you know who has the debt now then you might consider sending them a SOL letter to hopefully stop them from contacting you again, or from selling it to another collector. After they receive the letter if they continue to contact you or they sell it to another collector then sue them for it. Keep in mind that if the SOL letter that you use has a cease and desist in it, which it should, then the collector would be allowed to contact you 'one time' after receiving it. IF they contact you after receiving the letter then all they would be allowed to do is to tell you what they plan to do with the account, they cannot legally try to collect from you during that contact.

Google Why Chat's Credit Confusion and read over his Special Letter to Collection Agency Notification of SOL, which is listed under the Special Purpose Letters section. It also has a C&D in it that would not only bar them from trying to continue to collect but also from selling, transferring or assigning it to another collector.

You can also find the SOL statutes for your state on his site to use in the SOL letter. On the main page of his site scroll down towards the bottom of the page and you'll find a listing for each state.

Do not sign the letter, only type your name. Send it certified mail return receipt. Make a copy of the letter for your files and also when you get the green certified mail card back then put that in your files. Always create, and keep, a paper trail.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
About 3,500 people will have about $10 million in personal debt forgiven by a collection agency,
thanks to a settlement in federal court Friday...
Read the whole thing here.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 AM

152 posts, read 498,203 times
Send a certified letter stating:

Verify this alleged debt.

This is not a validation of this alleged debt.

Do not contact me by telephone, contact me in writing only.

Do this each time the debt is sold, yes it is a pain but no more calls, In fact never speak to them beyond what is required to get the name of the firm and the case number (so you can send them a letter).

A certified letter is cheap compared to the harassment factor. We owe no debt except our mortgage and I still find it necessary to send out a letter like this every two years or so. I am not sure if it is a case of mistaken identity or a collection agency trying to hunt down my wife's ex of 30 years ago. Fortunately they leave enough info on the answering machine for me to send a letter w/o ever speaking to them.

The certified letter works every time. Certified is a requirement to prove they do not validate the debt and that they in fact receive the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance