Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM

4,356 posts, read 7,260,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Premium = 'Advantage' account. Daily balance of $5k+. If you can keep that, there are no fees of any kind.

BN
Good to know, because "Advantage" is what I have.

I generally use my debit card as a credit card when using it to make purchasees, except in some cases where it can only be used as a debit card, like when renewing my vehicle registration at HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM

246 posts, read 434,251 times
I have been curious as to why anyone has an account with these mega banks. They are soulless and offer no service. My bank gives me refunds on any atm charge no matter where I go. No fees. I got rid of BOFA many years ago when they tried to hold funds on a deposit.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,139,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPeachtree81 View Post
They took money out of my account twice for the same check.
Same thing happened with me at Capital One. I called and it was immediately fixed. Things happen; there are clerical errors that happen. I did work a temporary job at a bank once where we processed the incoming checks. I stay with Cap One because they immediately fixed the situation and that has been the only error in 5 years.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,143,106 times
I left BofA when they gave credit to illegal aliens. BofA is rotten to the core. I was with them fifteen years. There are so many good local financial institutions to choose from, like USAA FSB, Frost Bank, and the credit unions. The megabanks get NOTHING from me anymore.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:19 PM

4,356 posts, read 7,260,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
I have been curious as to why anyone has an account with these mega banks. They are soulless and offer no service. My bank gives me refunds on any atm charge no matter where I go. No fees. I got rid of BOFA many years ago when they tried to hold funds on a deposit.
The reason I'm with BoA is because the location where I do my banking was an independent local bank years ago when I opened an account. The independent bank later became a branch of a local multi-branch bank, then they were gobbled up by a regional banking institution, then got taken over by a nationwide bank.

I've never been assessed monthly fees on my accounts, going all the way back to day one, when it was an independent local, I guess because my accounts have always met the qualifications for waived fees. I have been assessed fees to use non-bank owned ATMs, going back to at least the late 1980s, long before BoA. But BoA has a lot of ATMs, and their branch location is still convenient to me. Can't remember the last time I used a non-BoA ATM.

Still, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't go with BoA, or probably any of the large national institutions, for that matter. But since they pay competitive (currently meager) interest rates on deposits, are conveniently located, and don't hit me with monthly account maintenance fees, I guess I just haven't been given a lot of incentive to go elsewhere.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM

469 posts, read 1,157,128 times
We just dropped Citi. They wanted us to maintain a 6000.00 monthly balance and if we didn't we would be charged 15 a month. So we said no thanks and went else where.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM

944 posts, read 2,043,405 times
I use BoA for checking (my savings is elsewhere) with direct deposit set up. I have a rewards AmEx that I try to use for everything. If some place doesn't take AxEx, I have a MasterCard backup. I never use my debit card, so I'm not worried about the fee, especially since you can still withdraw from ATMs without incurring the fee.

It's just too much of a hassle right now to switch everything, where I work it's a pain to have your direct deposit changed. Also, there's a chance I might be moving within the next year, and if so I'd rather change things up afterwards than before.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM

502 posts, read 935,538 times
Lol I opened up an account thru the drive thru at boa! Hahaa I should have known to run! I closed it about a year ago....worthless bank!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,727,503 times
I guess it's time to move to online banking services like the new Ally bank that is becoming all the rage on financial blogs these days. Since they don't have a brick and mortar business, Ally is able to offer high yield checking accounts (1% depending on amount in account) and do away with all the stupid fees that the big banks charge. As far as ATMs, you can use any...and they will cover the cost. To deposit checks, they can simply be scanned in or mailed.

Probably the smart way to go.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,931,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
While the megabanks are guilty of many things, I must say Wells Fargo has given me pretty good service. While I have moved much of my banking business to a local bank and a credit union, it would be a hassle to change over automatic deposits (I have five) and the whole electronic bill pay thing. My billpay and my electronic deposits with Wells Fargo have worked flawlessly for the years that I have had them, and I hesitate to give up something which has worked so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance