Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times

Advertisements

I sort of understand their position but it'd probably be better to keep quiet on this topic if I were them.

----------------------

Wall Street Bonus Withdrawal Means Trading Aspen for Coupons
By Max Abelson - Feb 29, 2012
Andrew Schiff was sitting in a traffic jam in California this month after giving a speech at an investment conference about gold. He turned off the satellite radio, got out of the car and screamed a profanity.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Wall Street Bonus Withdrawal Means Trading Aspen for Coupons - Bloomberg

Last edited by Marka; 03-01-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Some people will always live above their means.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM

297 posts, read 726,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I sort of understand their position but it'd probably be better to keep quiet on this topic if I were them.

Some of the happiest people I know are flat broke (or just get by on minimum wage).

Also I have a picture ingrained in my head of my nephew at age 5 and my sister in law driving up with the kid in the back seat.

The kid had a BIG smile on his face!

And I was thinking when I saw that... Kids don't have bills or payments to make or jobs to worry about!

(That kid is now in college, worrying about finding a job, and no longer has a big smile on his face...)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Ship him to the slums of India and cry me a river.....what a douche

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I can understand that at ANY income level it would be difficult to make changes to a lifestyle you've become accustomed to. Every guy wants to provide a certain lifestyle to his family and when facing a big cut in pay, it's hard to tell you're family that they can't enjoy all the niceties of life that they've enjoyed to this point. Of the few people I know who have to make a dramatic change from a very comfortable/exclusive lifestyle to a more upper-middle class lifestyle, it's often the male of the family who feels he has somehow let his wife and children down by forcing them to cut back. It is sad, nobody wants to make their family downsize.

I just can't get over that somebody making $350K/ year lives in a 1200 sq ft duplex!! If I was making anywhere close to that amount, I'd build myself an estate overlooking one of our beautiful golf courses!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM

109 posts, read 207,699 times
Someone dust off the guillotines...

Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM

77 posts, read 192,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I can understand that at ANY income level it would be difficult to make changes to a lifestyle you've become accustomed to. Every guy wants to provide a certain lifestyle to his family and when facing a big cut in pay, it's hard to tell you're family that they can't enjoy all the niceties of life that they've enjoyed to this point. Of the few people I know who have to make a dramatic change from a very comfortable/exclusive lifestyle to a more upper-middle class lifestyle, it's often the male of the family who feels he has somehow let his wife and children down by forcing them to cut back. It is sad, nobody wants to make their family downsize.

I just can't get over that somebody making $350K/ year lives in a 1200 sq ft duplex!! If I was making anywhere close to that amount, I'd build myself an estate overlooking one of our beautiful golf courses!
The New York City - metro area is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country, so what he is getting for his money is probably not out of line.

He probably could have done better moving to a wealthy suburb and commuting to work in the city, or cutting back on his vacations to afford a larger place. Living in the suburbs would also have allowed his kids to get a good education without expensive private schools.

Really though, as your income goes up it may make more sense to live in the suburbs of NYC. NYC has an income tax, but the suburbs only have a property tax.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 AM

176 posts, read 350,578 times
What's galling is that so that so many of these hedge fund types are deluded into thinking that they do anything productive in the world.

Most of their money making (I wouldn't call it earning) just comes from the Federal Reserve's money printing and credit expansion policies. They should have taken the full hit in 2008 during the crash instead of socializing it on to the taxpayer; now there are very moderate regulations going into effect that will curtail their ability to leverage up.

A true correction to this situation would leave 90% of the people in the racket unemployed.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Sounds like a bunch of materialistic and morally bankrupt people.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 AM

19 posts, read 56,716 times
Well, the moral of the story is that no matter how much one makes, it is ALWAYS better to live BENEATH one's means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance