Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM

382 posts, read 804,587 times

Advertisements

Why are malls packed, new cars everywhere, planes full, cruises full, etc, etc; if the economy is so "bad"?My wife and I went on a cruise in 2009, it was full. We went to Hawaii in 2010, tourists everywhere. I understand there are people struggling BUT there have always been people struggling. To sum my post up. I never saw a bad economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Why are malls packed, new cars everywhere, planes full, cruises full, etc, etc; if the economy is so "bad"?My wife and I went on a cruise in 2009, it was full. We went to Hawaii in 2010, tourists everywhere. I understand there are people struggling BUT there have always been people struggling. To sum my post up. I never saw a bad economy.
I asked the same thing here in SoCal the other day. Just as many cars on the road with $4.95 gas as there were with $1.85 gas.

Still, we'd have to look at actual data. Are malls truly just as packed? Is the sales rate of new cars the same? Are cruises just as in demand? We can't rely on casual observations - that isn't scientific.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
A lot of people still live above their means and finance everything and remain in tremendous amounts of debt. From outward appearance the economy "looks" fine because of all you stated however, when you look at the numbers of people unemployed, underemployed and all of the debt some carry it is a completely different story. Personally we just passed up an opportunity to purchase the perfect vehicle I have been wanting for 4 years now. The reason we did not purchase is we did not have enough extra cash to purchase outright at the moment and I refuse to finance anything and I will not completely destroy my savings for a vehicle. In 2 weeks I will have enough cash to comfortably purchase the vehicle without financing and without destroying my savings, if the vehicle is still available I will purchase it, if not I will find another one. We are debt free and I refuse to take on any new debt, we pay cash or we do not purchase.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A lot of people still live above their means
Can't live without an iPhone or in iFad even if they have five kids and dad makes $8/hour.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM

If you don't have the money, you're not spending the money. There is only so long you can play the credit card games. (Transfer balances, simply just use them, etc.) Eventually, you're gonna have to start paying them. To get approved for a new car loan you need pretty good credit and you have to show income. I see a lot of new cars AND I can't find anybody to paint the exterior of my house. Every painter I call is busy.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM

People have always lived above their means. The 90s was a perfect example. McMansions everywhere, luxury cars, vacations, etc. It's still the same to me. Oh yeah...I have a boat and there were tons of boats on the lake this past summer.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
really? some of the malls by me are ghost towns these days. i associate their demise with the rise in online shopping too, though, and not just with the economy.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
really? some of the malls by me are ghost towns these days. i associate their demise with the rise in online shopping too, though, and not just with the economy.
The on-line shopping part I agree with. But malls being ghost towns. I have not seen one. Here in Jersey they want to build the biggest mall in America but the Jets/Giants are fighting it saying it will bring to much traffic to the area as it would be right next to Giants Stadium.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
When the economy is bad, people may indulge more to escape their problems.

The things/industries that are probably hit hardest are the status symbols which may not necessarily bring as much enjoyment as a vacation.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM

657 posts, read 717,338 times
Quote:

credit cards lets us think we have money. when i come back from my cruise i will pay mine slowly of course.

we are poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance