Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Lower Class 0 0%
Working Class 0 0%
Lower Middle Class 1 1.75%
Middle Class 17 29.82%
Upper Middle Class 35 61.40%
Upper Class 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times

Advertisements

Does it matter what we think when it is obvious that Mark doesn't care what class the rest of us think he is in? He's figured something out very early on, something that most people never figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
One thing is $100k is NOTHING working 80 hours a week. The ibanker types who are pulling in 80 hour work weeks make way over $100k and I have a hard time calling anyone who makes ~$24-25 an hour upper middle class.
In many of the building trades a person working an 80 hour week would be making over $3000 a week and in some places over $4000. The advantages of being covered by overtime regulations.

I reckon such folks are middle class economically and working class socially. Best of both worlds.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In many of the building trades a person working an 80 hour week would be making over $3000 a week and in some places over $4000. The advantages of being covered by overtime regulations.

I reckon such folks are middle class economically and working class socially. Best of both worlds.
Yeah definitely. A lot of educated people become high end W2 wage slaves, and don't get overtime and compensated for their hard work, except in the form of an 8% raise and a 10% bonus instead of maybe a 4% raise and a 5% bonus. The "hard work premium" is so small.

If you added overtime pay into account his salary is more like $19 an hour. If you changed the $100k/80 hour work week to "$19 an hour but works overtime" what class would he be put in? My guess is you'd have people argue he's lower middle class, not upper middle class.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Hs social class is much different than his fiancial class of income to liabilty. His net worth isn't that higher yet but he is obviously workig towards that in future years. Working 80 hours a week ;doubt he has much of a social life but that can change as he obviously has goals.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
One thing is $100k is NOTHING working 80 hours a week. The ibanker types who are pulling in 80 hour work weeks make way over $100k and I have a hard time calling anyone who makes ~$24-25 an hour upper middle class.

This guy is a workaholic and saveaholic, but I don't think that makes him more than middle class.
Although, we don't know if he is expected to work 80 hours a week. Maybe he would still make his salary if he worked less. Or maybe he's doing side projects to get ahead. And as someone else mentioned, it really depends on where he lives. In the Midwest (other than Chicago), $100K is a huge salary. In NYC, LA, DC, or Boston, not so much. But the fact that he is a senior financial analyst tells me that he is in an upper-middle-class position and will have upward mobility

Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
Who cares what bucket you can place him in, at least your hypothetical has properly prioritized saving and investing over flaunting consumption to fit into predefined social classes.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

I would agree. But how many people in the building trades are able to get that kind of overtime? And how many could keep working 80 hours weeks indefinitely? If they're using their bodies for their jobs, they might be dead or totally worn out physically by the time they're in their 50s.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Does "class" really matter?

There are trashy ignorant rich people. Low class all the way. Doesn't matter where they went to school either.

The object of this post, seems to have good sense. He has Class!
We're talking about social class here, not personal character. There are people of high and low character in all social classes.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Pardon me for starting a thread similar to another poster's but I'm kinda fascinated by this topic, especially if applied to non-standard lifestyles.

Mark, who is in his late 20's or early 30's, is currently a Senior Financial Analyst making around $100,000 a year. He drives a 1995 Honda Civic handed down from his parents. He has a Masters degree in Finance and has paid off all of his student loans a few years ago.

Currently, he rents a room (shared housing) in a mansion for $600/mo. Since he works 80 hours a week, he doesn't spend much time at home so he doesn't spend very lavishly here. He has a net worth of about $150,000 right now in stocks and liquid investments and is saving up his money to buy a house in the coming years. Mark saves over 50% of his take-home pay and lives very minimally outside of work.
By the way, how do you start a poll in the CD forums?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Pardon me for starting a thread similar to another poster's but I'm kinda fascinated by this topic, especially if applied to non-standard lifestyles.

Mark, who is in his late 20's or early 30's, is currently a Senior Financial Analyst making around $100,000 a year. He drives a 1995 Honda Civic handed down from his parents. He has a Masters degree in Finance and has paid off all of his student loans a few years ago.

Currently, he rents a room (shared housing) in a mansion for $600/mo. Since he works 80 hours a week, he doesn't spend much time at home so he doesn't spend very lavishly here. He has a net worth of about $150,000 right now in stocks and liquid investments and is saving up his money to buy a house in the coming years. Mark saves over 50% of his take-home pay and lives very minimally outside of work.
Are we talking about you here, or is this 'Mark' just a hypothetical friend. Either way, I wouldn't get hung up on the obscure notion of social class.

Generally, I think that once you start earning enough money to be able to afford the things you want (including a nice savings), your efforts are better spent maximizing other things in life. But if it's not enough, or if Mark is happy, he should keep working. Either way, he's upper middle class -- whatever that means or whatever privileges that affords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance