Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Lower Class 0 0%
Working Class 0 0%
Lower Middle Class 1 1.75%
Middle Class 17 29.82%
Upper Middle Class 35 61.40%
Upper Class 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM

21,572 posts, read 8,747,707 times

Advertisements

I voted Upper Class for a number of reasons. One is that the young man, Mark, doesn't flaunt his wealth with a flashy car or extravagant lifestyle. Truly upper class people seldom do. They live modestly and drive well-maintained older cars. Middle and upper middles tend to be more obsessed with what others think of them and will go into debt for luxury cars, big houses and lavish vacations.

Secondly, Mark has a good income but no debt. This is a sign that he has learned from his (presumably wealthy) parents how to manage money well. The fact that he has chosen the finance industry as a career and is already a serious investor indicates that he is sophisticated about money matters, which middle classes and below tend not to be. His long work hours also suggest that he is passionate about what he does, another trait that sets him apart from someone who punches a clock. He may not be earning a huge salary now, but his dedication to his career is a good sign that he has the potential to be a power player. He has a master's degree, which is another indicator that he is upper middle class or higher. The one missing puzzle piece is what school he attended. Having attended a prestigious school such as Harvard or Yale would put him firmly in the upper class.

Third, Mark rents a room in a mansion. Now on the face of it you wouldn't associate renting a room with wealth, but -- it's a mansion. This suggests that he feels at ease in the upper class realm. People feel most comfortable associating with others of their class, so this is further evidence that he is one the elites. Mark's income is enough that he could have bought a modest house of his own already, but if he continues saving a good chunk of his salary and living below his means, within a few years he might be able to buy the mansion he's only renting a room in now.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-29-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,143,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Does it matter what we think when it is obvious that Mark doesn't care what class the rest of us think he is in? He's figured something out very early on, something that most people never figure out.
Yes, but marketers who want to sell products to him care. Demographers who are interested in social change care. Etc. etc. etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,660,335 times
Am I only one sitting here thinking that $100K a year is pretty damn good in this thread (maybe it's because I live in a lower COL area than say New York or California)? Mark eerily sounds somewhat like me except I don't work 80 hours a week and I make a little less than he does. I would definitely say upper middle class because he sure has a hell of a lot saved up for someone his age and with his masters degree and work ethic he is well on his way to making a lot more than $100K in the coming years.

He has no family and hardly ever spends his hard-earned cash. He is also young and assuming he has no bigger health issues to deal with he's not going to have to worry about that for a long time either. So he is really in the green in my books.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
The upper class doesn't have to work for a living, although they might choose to as a family tradition or business. "We don't work for our money, we *have* our money."
If the upper class loses its money say through stock market crash or something, the world view and outlook is still there, at least of old money (old money to the U.S., anyway). Americans tend to view class by amount of money and stuff.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
they'll have the faux-granite countertops and
What is faux-granite? Some other stone, laminate?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,397,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Am I only one sitting here thinking that $100K a year is pretty damn good in this thread (maybe it's because I live in a lower COL area than say New York or California)? Mark eerily sounds somewhat like me except I don't work 80 hours a week and I make a little less than he does. I would definitely say upper middle class because he sure has a hell of a lot saved up for someone his age and with his masters degree and work ethic he is well on his way to making a lot more than $100K in the coming years.

He has no family and hardly ever spends his hard-earned cash. He is also young and assuming he has no bigger health issues to deal with he's not going to have to worry about that for a long time either. So he is really in the green in my books.
I agree. The young man the OP is talking about is going to be extremely wealthy if he keeps making these smart decisions.

The people that like to act rich and high class are the ones that are perpetually broke. Any moron with a credit card in his/her pocket can do that.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM

643 posts, read 2,387,725 times
Or he could snap one day when he realizes life is passing him by and he will never get back the days and nights he slaved at his desk when he could have been dating or in relationship that would lead to a happy marriage and the rest of his life. The person in this example lives to work right now. He may have a serious mid life crisis and blow it all.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,143,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
What is faux-granite? Some other stone, laminate?

Faux Granite Countertops - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,427,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'd also say it depends on where he lives. if he's in New York or a Coastal CA metro area, I'd say he's middle class/borderline upper middle. If he's in Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, or some other reasonable cost place, I'd say he's upper middle class.
this makes sense to me as well. Even in New York, unless he lives IN manhattan, he's still probably upper middle. but he's walking that fine line in higher cost areas, where in the rest of the country, he's solidly upper middle.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM

78,562 posts, read 60,762,573 times
That's middle class on the coasts and upper middle in many other parts of the United States where a nice house doesn't cost you 500k with a 15k a year property tax bill.

That is a *crud load* of money for a young guy to make living somewhere like Omaha, KC, Indy and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance