Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its their own fault for living above their means and making dumb choices...
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
...the one thing about rich people is that when they lose their jobs/income, they have much bigger debts than poor people.
The subject of the article was not rich. He didn't own a G4. He didn't live in a 30,000 square foot home with a household staff of 16.

Actually, he has very little in the way of accumulated savings/investments. If you or I were to have had the income he did for the past many years, you and I would have accumulated quite a bit of savings & invested them wisely.

But he was never rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 37,612 times
Nobody MAKES you have kids. Kids are super expensive, you have them at the very grave risk of that choice ruining your chances of retirement/enjoying this life. There is no reason for a rich person to have any debts at all, and if he does, it's because he's stupid. First you pile up enough $ to live comfortably on for the rest of your life (investment return and principle being used up, say age 100) and THEN you can blow any additional monies on whatever.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
This is actually an interesting look at how different people view "being successful" or "being wealthy" I was raised in a suburb of Detroit Michigan that was considered "well to do". The people who lived there were an intersting mix of "old money" "new money" and "trying to look like we have money" people

The intersesting thing is that the people that were in the "Old Money" catagory (at least 2 generations of inhertitance and successful living in the area) were the ones that used coupons when they shopped, mowed their own lawns and did their own gardening (or had the kids do it). They drove high end cars but kept them for years and years until they finally gave out. In other words, the reason they HAD money was because they knew how to SAVE money. The "New Money" people were all glitz and no substance. They made a splash when they moved in and another one when they quickly moved on. The "wanna-be people" would over extend and simply vanish as quickly as they arrived.

The people interviewed for the article just don't get it. If you spend everything you earn, as soon as you earn it, you aren't wealthy. You can only become wealthy if you save money! I almost wish I could feel some pity for these people but they are bringing it onto themselves. When their world crashes down, they have a lot farther to fall than the average guy does. What they just don't get is that without savings as a safety net, they will hit bottom just as hard and just as quickly as the next guy.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
This is a sad situation. A very wasteful lifestyle. It's living proof that even the well educated don't always major in common sense.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is a sad situation. A very wasteful lifestyle. It's living proof that even the well educated don't always major in common sense.
Why wasteful?

Maybe they are just enjoying life? At the end of the day, all men may not be created equal but we sure do all meet the same fate.

Although I'm a big advocate of living below or at one's means, I can't claim that this is the best option for all.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 AM

10 posts, read 24,075 times
The poor don't understand the rich's stress as the riches don't understand them.
It's kind of emotion or feeling, not some figure can describe, everyone got his own stress, only he can feel the weight, but other not.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Why wasteful?

Maybe they are just enjoying life? At the end of the day, all men may not be created equal but we sure do all meet the same fate.

Although I'm a big advocate of living below or at one's means, I can't claim that this is the best option for all.
Contemplating flying down to New Orleans to judge a wet T-shirt contest is a pretty good example.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillianlovehong View Post
The poor don't understand the rich's stress as the riches don't understand them.
An important distinction.. stress is a choice for the rich, it isn't a choice for the poor. Rich people can easily choose to live stress free if they manage their finances well and live below their means. The poor don't have anything to begin with and are struggling to keep their basic existence.

Sympathizing with the rich because they have stress is very offensive. That's like me buying a brand new BMW and then asking people to sympathize with me because the premium gas is so expensive and I am stressed out because I am having trouble affording the gas

Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
An important distinction.. stress is a choice for the rich, it isn't a choice for the poor. Rich people can easily choose to live stress free if they manage their finances well and live below their means. The poor don't have anything to begin with and are struggling to keep their basic existence.

Sympathizing with the rich because they have stress is very offensive. That's like me buying a brand new BMW and then asking people to sympathize with me because the premium gas is so expensive and I am stressed out because I am having trouble affording the gas
There are different degrees of poor.
I knew a woman who did not put extra effort into her job, which relocated and laid her off. At her age she had no savings, neither was she prepared for other work. She's sweeping the floors in a fast food place now, I think.

After lots of prodding she went to some not so great community college, did not struggle to get the highest grades possible, joked about not doing homework. Dropped out.

She's on some government subsidy/s now.

She's poor. She's a nice person, but has earned her poverty.

There are others who are born with limited mental abilities and try the best that they can to learn, grow, contribute.

One I feel for, the other not so much.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
extreme poverty is boring. most in ameica dont know it so this is meaningless. read down and out in paris and london by george orwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance