Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
No but it an excellent idea for someone who wants to invest wisely and live frugally.
he's making fun of your english. you want to rent TO people, not rent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
he's making fun of your english. you want to rent TO people, not rent people.
It was too late for me to edit. I was typing too fast.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do you rent out people by the day, week or month?
Sorry, I meant to bring in renters for 3 rooms.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Sorry, I meant to bring in renters for 3 rooms.
I think we all understood that. Folks are just having fun with your inadvertent error which had humorous consequences.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,610 times
Default Crony-Inflation

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
If there is oversupply, why are rents here up 10 percent over the past year despite high unemployment and a tanked economy?
The Gov't certainly is doing their part fueling house/asset inflation!

Last year I heard on the radio that the Gov't was adding $500.00?/month to Section 8 welfare for a single mom with 3~4 kids ($2500.00?/month total subsidy). The landlords in Plano, Texas couldn't wait to get their soon-to-be tenants (from the Dallas area) to the better, safer schools & pristine neighborhoods. If I remember correctly, the talk of raising rents to help the community was discussed openly by the landlords & local Gov't.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I'm sure there are many life-long New Yorkers who have been renters their whole lives. I know my aunt and uncle in Brooklyn rented their whole lives as does my cousin. My parents didn't buy a house until they moved out of NYC.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I would agree. While there is more freedom in renting, the benefits to home ownership would certainly outweigh the benefits of renting, I would think. I'm so tired of "giving" my money away each month in rent. I rent from a relative, but still....it's not my home.

And even those working people that could afford the mortgage, might not be able to come up with the down payment - is 20% standard these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
10% is still do-able. I am actually looking into it, but 20% would be a tough call on most folks.
You can do an FHA at 3.5% down. That's absolutely true about the 20%. I bought a 942 s.f. condo for $180K, about the cheapest thing one could buy in NJ and still be within commuting distance of the city. There's no way I would have EVER been able to save up $36K to have a 20% down payment.

That's how I did it--bought my own place, a small condo, for the first time two years ago at the age of 51. Like the OP, I lived paycheck to paycheck and simply could not afford to buy a place of my own before that. (I was married and had a child, but divorced when my daughter was young, and my ex-husband only ever paid child support sporadically, so I could not rely on it. He'd throw me $50 or $100 or so once every couple of months.)

It is nice to be able to not worry about whether I can find a rental where I can keep my cats, or worry about losing my security because I painted my walls, or always be nervous because I might be told I have to move out when the lease is up because the landlord sold the house or whatever. Down side is that when heat or hot water or anything breaks, you have to get it fixed--but on the plus side--when you have a mortgage and pay it on time, you can get credit for those things if need be.

And of course it's nice to have a tax deduction instead of handing a huge chunk of your paycheck over to the government while everyone else gets the breaks.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm sure there are many life-long New Yorkers who have been renters their whole lives. I know my aunt and uncle in Brooklyn rented their whole lives as does my cousin. My parents didn't buy a house until they moved out of NYC.
That's different, though. In the city, most people do rent. Even if they have money, often people buy a summer house down the shore or out on the island.

There's a woman in my office who lives on the lower east side who has been in her same apartment since 1968!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
To me, buying a condo is basically buying an apartment. Why would I want to buy an apartment?
Because a) it's affordable, whereas a s.f. house may not be, b) you cannot do yard work (I am a divorced woman in my 50s who works long hours--no way do I want to spent what little free time I have mowing the lawn and raking leaves or worrying about snow removal) c) you want the closeness and safety of neighbors/community, d) Most s.f. houses are too large for just one person.

None of these may be YOUR choice, but they are the best way for me.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
There are first time homeowner programs out there that do not require a large down payment. FHA is a possible route. FHA requires 3.5% down. Depending the housing costs in your area, this can be a really great way to get into a house. My friend's daughter recently purchased a home in a rural area, she qualified for some sort of rural program and didnt need a down payment at all.

As far as whether there are folks out there that live paycheck to paycheck and have done so for many years? Absolutely. A whole lot more than people want to admit to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance