Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,430 times

Advertisements

A relative has contacted me in a panic and I don't know the answer so am asking here... She bought a new car at a dealership about a month ago, had a trade-in, agreed to interest rate, signed paperwork, etc. Their finance department contacted her this weekend saying they couldn't offer her that interest rate and said it would be 3 points higher. Nothing has changed with her credit, income, employment. I assume the answer is she needs to read her contract again, but this doesn't sound ordinary or legal. Is it? I assume she can cancel the deal and give the car back, but who knows where her old car she gave them is at this point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
If the contract SHE SIGNED says they can do that, then they can do that.

If the contract SHE SIGNED says she can't cancel and is bound by the higher interest rate, then she can't cancel and must pay the higher interest rate.

Read the contract. (And read every word of contracts before signing!)

Also, since this has happened, tell her in the future to read the fine print on any offer she receives in the mail; credit card applications, cell phone offers, cable TV offers, etc. These things sound like a good deal.*

*But you read the fine print and it is not so good of a deal!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 AM

164 posts, read 329,108 times
Contracts can have very clever wording I actually had a similar situation a few years back dealership had me sign all the paper work on a brand new 07 Dodge Ram 1 month later got the call that they couldn't get me approved for the amount needed and would have to bring the truck back and find something in the 2-3 year old range for 10k less. I tried fighting it but the contract was worded so they had wiggle room

Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Normally signed contract/bill of sale is binding. But like with everything else you need to read it very careful, especially the fine print.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM

430 posts, read 1,694,430 times
She's not finding any wording to that effect in re-reading the contract a couple of times, and I've just never heard of such of thing, who in the world would agree to having their interest rate go up after purchase?? I guess her only options are for them to write up a new contract with a lower price to accommodate the change in interest rate, or their contract is null and void and she should return the car. I can't imagine a dealership would want to put themselves in a position to receive a new car back and also compensate her for her trade-in, which the dealership likely already sold.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
I'd have her ask the dealership where it is in the contract that they believe they can change the rate.

If there's nothing in the contract and/or they're hemming and hawing, I'm thinking your State Attorney General may be worth talking to. They have a customer complaints area.

Have her keep records of any communications or otherwise with that dealer. She'll want to provide that to the AG's office when she files the complaint.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
This is a common problem when you finance through a dealership rather than arranging financing before you go in.

Dealers will often get you on the hook with a rate that they think they can get for you, but if they can't get that rate they will come back and expect you to pay a higher rate. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't, it depends on the terms of the sale some of which are fairly ambiguous and always favor the dealership since they write up the contract.

One thing she can do is go out and find a bank that will loan her the money at a rate she's comfortable with and tell the dealership she's just going to write a check for the car. If the dealer stands to make anything on the financing they might work with her on the price to make things work out even.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
Most likely in order to 'make the sale" they got in a hurry and figured up the wrong interest rate based on a credit report. Later the lender said NO that they would require a higher rate. The car lot doent always control what lenders may do because their goal is to refer people to lenders to get them financed . The sale is all that matters to them.The car lot is not the place to have the legal issues of the contract explained.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
See if you can find a pro-bono lawyer - to look over the contract.

If there's nothing in there that claims that they can take the vehicle back, I don't see why she should have to give it back. If they agreed to a price and financing terms, and she signed to those and she is making that payment, the dealership is on the hook for anything above/beyond -- unless their contract specifically gives them the ability to take the car back in this sort of situation.

Basically, I wouldn't turn the car in without restitution over/beyond (at least a token amount) what they took from her.

And no, there's no way she HAS to agree to a higher interest rate (again - unless its there in the contract). She would probably have to go in and sign new documents. Which of course she should refuse to do.

This is a horrible dealership, by the way - not the way you treat customers. Hope she avoids them in the future.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
She's not finding any wording to that effect in re-reading the contract a couple of times...
Is there anything about the terms or financing must be accepted by the lender?

Or perhaps a place for the lender to sign and it is not yet signed?

One quick way to find out where such wording is would be to tell the car dealer she has a signed contract for that interest rate, so they MUST honor it. Then see what they come back with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance