Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times

Advertisements

Some months a big money drain for me and my SO is eating out. We like to experience new foods and restaurants. I would like to set our budget to limit 1-2 fancy meals per month and leaving a little bit for cheap eats.

A "fancy meal" for the two of us is normally around $50-$70. About twice a week we grab fast food when either of us works late. I'd like to eliminate the fast food due to lack of nutritional value, the food usually sucks, and it's a drain on the wallet. So I'm putting more in the grocery budget.

I'm thinking around $100-$150 per month for eating out/going out. I'm just wondering how much other young couples here with no kids budget for eating out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
Too much. If I had to guess, I would say I spend around $600 a month on dining out, and that doesnt count going to bars and just drinking. 'Fancy dinners' for us are usually 150+, and we probably do that once or twice a month. Then we will often go and get carry out, or sit down somewhere 'simple'.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
About 100 per month. I'm a big spender.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,299,494 times
Being smart is essential. I give blood for NFL tickets. I use grupon and livingsocail like its going out of style. I see bands I love at small hole-in-the wall rock bars for little money. I go to college football games and buy season tickets (its cheaper) or use my student ID (discount prices). I dont mind sitting in the nose-bleed sections of MLB games, or if I can I use my office tickets. The list goes on. Just have to be prepared and do some research.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
I calculated my dining out expenses for a few months and it ranged anywhere from $1400 to $2000/ month. I'm single and I simply don't cook so basically I eat out for all three meals. It's not that I CAN'T cook, it's just the idea of food preparation, cooking the food, cleanup afterwards, dishes, etc...I just don't see much point in doing all of this for one person. There's a wonderful variety of restaurants in the Scottsdale area that I frequent and it's nice to have Mexican one night, steak the next, maybe some pasta another, etc.

I rarely go to "fancy" places unless I'm with a girl-friend or a group of people. My average tab for lunch is $15 plus tip and supper is $20-$25 plus tip. If it were a "fancy" restaurant, I'd be paying for two people instead of just myself and the tab would probably be at least $100 not including drinks or tip. I stick to midpriced places for this reason!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM

For us I'm really trying to eliminate random fast food trips and random unplanned sit down dinners. Like if we're lazy to cook or don't feel like eating what we have at home. A typical scenario is "eehhh I don't really feel like eating salmon at home, lets try that new sushi place down the street. OK!" Then there goes $50 I wasn't planning to spend.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,429 times
Our total food bill, including drinks/buying alcohol and eating out, is probably around $27-28 a day for two people, if you net out alcohol probably around $25 a day. We generally eat out probably 5 meals a week on average. Most are cheaper ethnic meals, and then a couple meals around 40pp+ per month. Basically we rare eat frozen food, eat fresh produce from farmers markets, fresh meat, and will often eat fresh salads from places like trader joe's or fresh and easy lunch bowls for lunches. For dinner we usually grill meats, bake some meats and have fresh veggies with it.

I think the best thing to do is have a "routine" for grocery shopping and dining out. We usually eat out for dinner one night a week, and then on the weekend we eat out a lot, probably twice for dinner fri-sun night (eat home one night) and then do brunch one meal, and then one other random meal to get 5 out for a week.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I calculated my dining out expenses for a few months and it ranged anywhere from $1400 to $2000/ month. I'm single and I simply don't cook so basically I eat out for all three meals. It's not that I CAN'T cook, it's just the idea of food preparation, cooking the food, cleanup afterwards, dishes, etc...I just don't see much point in doing all of this for one person. There's a wonderful variety of restaurants in the Scottsdale area that I frequent and it's nice to have Mexican one night, steak the next, maybe some pasta another, etc.

I rarely go to "fancy" places unless I'm with a girl-friend or a group of people. My average tab for lunch is $15 plus tip and supper is $20-$25 plus tip. If it were a "fancy" restaurant, I'd be paying for two people instead of just myself and the tab would probably be at least $100 not including drinks or tip. I stick to midpriced places for this reason!
I'm a single male and my expenses are about the same ($1400-2000 a month). I also dont cook and i eat out all of the time.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
Some months a big money drain for me and my SO is eating out. We like to experience new foods and restaurants. I would like to set our budget to limit 1-2 fancy meals per month and leaving a little bit for cheap eats.

A "fancy meal" for the two of us is normally around $50-$70. About twice a week we grab fast food when either of us works late. I'd like to eliminate the fast food due to lack of nutritional value, the food usually sucks, and it's a drain on the wallet. So I'm putting more in the grocery budget.

I'm thinking around $100-$150 per month for eating out/going out. I'm just wondering how much other young couples here with no kids budget for eating out.
I think it sounds like you are doing well - you are spending money on things that you find worth it to you. Maybe you should set down a monetary goal along with a consumption goal - something like - one fancy meal per month for $60 and 3 regular meals per month for $25 each with no fast food meals. This would mean you are eating out once per week. You can adjust it on how much you actually spend.

If you are looking to cut down your eating out bill, you can perhaps try a cooking date where you buy the ingredients and follow a recipe for something you'd like to try or do a copy cat recipe for food that you like at a certain recipe. You can probably do it for about 1/2 the cost of eating out. This might be fun for a change every once in awhile.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Our total food bill, including drinks/buying alcohol and eating out, is probably around $27-28 a day for two people, if you net out alcohol probably around $25 a day. We generally eat out probably 5 meals a week on average. Most are cheaper ethnic meals, and then a couple meals around 40pp+ per month. Basically we rare eat frozen food, eat fresh produce from farmers markets, fresh meat, and will often eat fresh salads from places like trader joe's or fresh and easy lunch bowls for lunches. For dinner we usually grill meats, bake some meats and have fresh veggies with it.

I think the best thing to do is have a "routine" for grocery shopping and dining out. We usually eat out for dinner one night a week, and then on the weekend we eat out a lot, probably twice for dinner fri-sun night (eat home one night) and then do brunch one meal, and then one other random meal to get 5 out for a week.
That's what I would like to do. Great home cooked meals are more to brag about than expensive restaurants. Plus I need to eat healthier, eating out alot has been emptying my wallet and filling my gut. But I would still like to have a nice treat and a good restaurant here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance