Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
In Hartford renting is cheaper, so is boston, new york, north carolina, maryland, dc, new jersey, Delaware.
You don't seem to have any numbers to back up your arguments.
I didn't need to add them again... did I? The reference was already made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post 360
Oh lookie, here's a cite:

According to real estate web site Trulia, buying was cheaper than renting in 74% of the country's 50 largest cities in July. In just 12% of the cities, including New York, Seattle and San Francisco, renting was cheaper. In the remaining 14% of cities, renting was less expensive but close to the cost of buying.

Buying is cheaper than renting in most U.S. cities - Aug. 16, 2011
If you're inclined to challenge the CNN reporting... then by all means go right ahead.
As to the points I've made... I'll stick by them 100%.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-09-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I didn't need to add them again... did I? The reference was already made.

If you're inclined to challenge the CNN reporting... then by all means go right ahead.
As to the points I've made... I'll stick by them 100%.
You posted a link to "Its a Wonderful Life"

Thanks I really liked that movie but this doesn't demonstrate that buying is cheaper than renting.

In almost every case it is more expensive. If your single you can live with 2 other roomates and beat the pants off the cost of buying a whole house.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
that depend so thne house. You can alos buy with two roomates i many areas ;sharig the cost.But always remmebr rent last a lifetime and i the ned is much more costly in elder years.Rents now are the fast riaisng housing and with multi occupancy you put up with what they rent to plus rely on the rothers for your safety besides who you rent from. Then there is always the multi movig cost.Nothnks;been there did that.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
In almost every case it is more expensive.
I completely refute that premise but am quite done pushing the point.

Quote:
If your single you can live with 2 other roommates
and beat the pants off the cost of buying a whole house.
Or... you could just as well buy the house, take in those two roommates...
and have THEM pay the mortgage for you. (I have some experience with this approach btw)

Quote:
You posted a link to "Its a Wonderful Life"
Thanks I really liked that movie but this doesn't demonstrate that buying is cheaper than renting.
Do you have this much difficulty following a discussion outside of the 'net as well?
Or is it just selective observation? Mathjak made the same error. Curious

Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I'm 31 and have 130% of one year's salary saved up in my 401k. I hope to retire in 29 years. But I know it will be an uphill battle.

Why? Because I will probably only see social security, if it sticks around, after I'm 70, due to extended lifespans (genetically, all my grandparents died in their 90s). Further, while right now I'm paid into the company pension, I highly doubt it will be around by the time I retire.

So, while I think I've done "OK" thus far, I know I need to do more. Namely:

Ensure I max out the 401k contribution match
Ensure I max out the Roth IRA limits
Diversify remaining assets to commodities (like gold) and debt (like bonds, etc)
Invest in life insurance for myself that is not term life (i.e. universal, something that is more like an investment)
Have kids

That last one is basically because having a rich, full life is part of being able to retire, and having kids is part of a natural cycle. And best to do it while I'm still young-ish and so is the wife. Don't want to be an old coot while my youngest is still in college.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
So, while I think I've done "OK" thus far, I know I need to do more. Namely:

Ensure I max out the 401k contribution match Yes
Ensure I max out the Roth IRA limits Yes
Diversify remaining assets Yes to commodities (like gold) NO and debt NO (like bonds, etc)
Invest in life insurance for myself NO that is not term life NO (i.e. universal, something that is more like an investment)
The 401K and IRA thoughts are fine.
Add'l investing should till be for GROWTH until you're 60 (Index funds are fine)
You are FAR more likely to need DISABILITY insurance than life insurance.
A small TERM policy is plenty and prudent (pay off mortgage and get wife over the first year)

The last thing too rarely mentioned is to invest in yourself too:
Continuing Education in your current field at least... but also expand beyond that.
Regularly learn something useful and in depth about whatever interests you.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-09-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We have that now... most commonly it is called trailer parks... some you own the space and others you rent.

Also... cities across the country from SF to New York are experimenting with micro units... under 400 square feet with some about 200.

Washington State has a test program to build micro homes and they had a detailed report on the news last night...

I to could be in your area housing is can be so inexpensive... like in the Detroit area... there is little incentive to make changes.

Trailers depreciate rapidly, houses tend to appreciate over time. Trailers make little long-term economic sense, especially for those paying (gack) lot rent.

If the micro homes were built in Seattle metro, they're probably ridiculously overpriced. One of the major national homebuilders (D R Horton I think) did a micro condo project in Portland and those were ridiculously overpriced.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Rent vs. Own often comes down to a lifestyle choice and money can buy choice.

Those who can't buy don't call renting a lifestyle choice.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Trailers depreciate rapidly, houses tend to appreciate over time. Trailers make little long-term economic sense, especially for those paying (gack) lot rent.

If the micro homes were built in Seattle metro, they're probably ridiculously overpriced. One of the major national homebuilders (D R Horton I think) did a micro condo project in Portland and those were ridiculously overpriced.
Sorry... situation sounds hopeless

Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Those who can't buy don't call renting a lifestyle choice.
Well there's always family... you can be 26 and still covered under a parents health plan so why not room and board?

Quite a few I know bought homes in the last decade and a lot said they will never own a home again...

There are so many foreclosures here... funny thing is most that walked away also were serial refi home owners...

The guy across the street would have been fine if he hadn't refinance 4 times in 5 years taking money out each time... new cabin cruiser, new cars... even a new one for his 16 year old daughter...

Everything came crashing down when he hit the wall and couldn't refi his way out of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance