Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

You would be surprised what opportunties there are if you are willing to imagine and think out of the box. I did not realize you are female . . . I think you can find a good domestic gig where they will allow you to bring your brother - he can do yardwork on the weekends when he is not in school - there are a lot of super rich people - just start putting up flyers, and knocking on doors - I am not kidding. You have to be resourceful and not scared . . .

Your brother needs to take the bus to school, period. If he is late, then he will have consequences. You cannot starve to have a car when you can't afford one. Please get out there and find a gig - there are people that have guest houses just for "the help!!!"

Try another church if the one you were going to was not helpful.

What are you selling Ebay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
What are you spending on the car, insurance, and fuel per month?
Hand the keys to the leasing agent tomorrow. And walk away. Tell them you cannot afford it.
Your brother can ride the bus. Your job does not require a car.
Having no car will save you enough each month to have the 4 smallest debts paid off in 4-5 months.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Find what is called public scribbler,they help you fill out the papers for bankruptcy. they can give you solid advise concerning you bills legally, OK
been there, done that.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Why are you paying lawyers for the parents?
If everybody is already going to be deported, why not cut your loses and move back sooner than later?
Debts can't be collected if you leave the country.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 AM

66 posts, read 75,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You would be surprised what opportunties there are if you are willing to imagine and think out of the box. I did not realize you are female . . . I think you can find a good domestic gig where they will allow you to bring your brother - he can do yardwork on the weekends when he is not in school - there are a lot of super rich people - just start putting up flyers, and knocking on doors - I am not kidding. You have to be resourceful and not scared . . .

Your brother needs to take the bus to school, period. If he is late, then he will have consequences. You cannot starve to have a car when you can't afford one. Please get out there and find a gig - there are people that have guest houses just for "the help!!!"

Try another church if the one you were going to was not helpful.

What are you selling Ebay?
Hi again, yes I'm a 22 years old female.
You're right. I will do flyers and spread the word, and yes my brother will have to take the school bus or a regular bus, and if he's late well to bad. My mom always told me I have to be patient and try to understand and please him since he doen't know what's going on. But is time to talk to him and try to make him understand that things have changed and hopefully he would change and help me out.

Yes, I work on ebay. I was doing some research yesterday and I found some churches that might be whilling to help me, I will call them today and see what happens.

I would like to say thank you for all your help and your support.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
You won't he able to file bankruptcy.
You have to have at least $20,000 in debt.
That's what I've read. You don't have that much in debt to actually file for bankruptcy.

As someone else said,maybe you can get a job as a maid or babysitter.
Maybe even pick fruit. Maybe you can go to a hispanic center or something. They would know of places that would hire you.

Just curious ..... how have you been paying taxes for 10 years if you are only 22?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What are you spending on the car, insurance, and fuel per month?
Hand the keys to the leasing agent tomorrow. And walk away. Tell them you cannot afford it.
Your brother can ride the bus. Your job does not require a car.
Having no car will save you enough each month to have the 4 smallest debts paid off in 4-5 months.

I had a boyfriend 2 years ago and he was paying the rent in full, so I made enough extra money to get a brand new car, Since I was doing very well on ebay. So he convinced me to lease a car instead of buying, that's what I did. I didn't have debts at that time, so I got a VW 2011 lease my monthly payments where $340. It was ok with the payments for 1/2 a year till we broke up, and then I had to start paying the rent by myself, which I mentioned earlier that is almost $1,000. For some reason rent in FL is expensive. I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. At one point I wasn't able to afford rent, utilities bill, food, and the car. So I started using my only bank credit card to put gas, which I spend almost $50.00 a week and I started using all my other credit cards to purchase merchandise, that I still have. (I haven't been able to sell)
So has been 2 years and I'm still paying $1,000 rent by myself , $340 for a lease car and paying my credit card minimums which are like $300 - 400$. I have been paying everything on time so far, but last month I was late on my rent, and this month I might not be able to pay the car. Sells are really slow, and bad and I'm not making enough. Oh the insurance is under my dad's he payed the whole year for me, which expires next month. he paid $1,600 for my full coverage, that's what the dealer required. I won't be able to keep the car since the montly payments are to high and I will have to pay the insurance next year, and If I do it byself, since I'm under 25 I will have to pay $2,500 which I don't have and I don't make.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You won't he able to file bankruptcy.
You have to have at least $20,000 in debt.
That's what I've read. You don't have that much in debt to actually file for bankruptcy.

As someone else said,maybe you can get a job as a maid or babysitter.
Maybe even pick fruit. Maybe you can go to a hispanic center or something. They would know of places that would hire you.

Just curious ..... how have you been paying taxes for 10 years if you are only 22?

I will do a research and look for local jobs, or as someone else said I will give out some flyers.

I meant to say was that my dad has been paying taxes with an ITIN number for like 7 years and for the past 3 he has been paying taxes with his SSN # and my brother and I were his dependents on his declaration.
I started working after I graduated high school and I started declaring taxes with my itin # and now with my SSN #.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why are you paying lawyers for the parents?
If everybody is already going to be deported, why not cut your loses and move back sooner than later?
Debts can't be collected if you leave the country.
Hi, my parents are divorced, and each 1 of them have a lawyer to try to stay on this country.

My dad was taken by the ice department one night and they interrogate him asking him questions about my mom's marriage. After 3 hours of interrogation they let him out, he had no car, no wallet, no phone, and they let him on the middle of no where. he said he had to ask for some cash at people on the street to be able to take the bus, and as soon as he got home he took his car and drove all the way to where I live which is 1 hour and 20 minutes away from him. When he got here he was pale! And cold so I took him to the ER (emergency) and he's blood pressure was over 260 the nurse told me I took him on time. they were running like crazy doing blood pressure and giving him aspirins and tylenol and a whole bunch of stuffs, they did a lot of exams to his heart, and brain. he was at the hospital in intensive care for 5 days , after that he was released and he went back to his house where the ice department were waiting for him and to him to jail till he gets he's court date. So I have been trying to pay a lawyer little by little to get him out of jail till he gets he's court date. My parents got divorced 6 years ago then my mom got remarried 7 years ago to an american citizen, her life has been miserable, he loves my step that to much to be able to realize that his a jerk. before my mom got married my brother and I used to live her. After they got married he told my mom that I was FAT and I had to lose weight before moving to his house!!! I was heart broken and I started working and sharing a room at our old apartment. I was able to save $10,000 in 6 months, then I decided to move to another city where i'm currently living. I couldn't live close to my mom and not been able to go visit her because my step dad didn't accept me. I haven't lose weight.
Well my mom file a petition to become a resident since she was married to a US citizen, and they accused her of fraud and told her my real dad paid my step dad for him to married her, which is not true!

So they took all her documents (green card, DL , SS card) away and she's waiting for a court date to present infront of a judge to prove that she is innocent. and obviously she need another lawyer, my step dad has money! he's a tennis coach, but he won't give her a penny! she lives with him, and he buys food for himself, and he doesn't care if she had eaten or not!! Omg I don't have to say this but I hate him. I don't understand how my mom feel in love with this guy, he is so misserable. He knows our situation and he doesn't help us. He has a whole bunch of money and he doesn't give us presents, he doesn't call to say hi, he never visit us.!!!!

So I'm taking care of my brother mean while, and I do my best, to keep up to date with my payment, rent and I try to pay lawyers but is overwhelming, Is just to much! I'm driving crazy!

I don't know if you read all the post but we were under my dad's petition to become residents and since he's case got denied our 2. So my brother and I has been ilegal for 7 months.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby2012renter View Post
I had a boyfriend 2 years ago and he was paying the rent in full, so I made enough extra money to get a brand new car, Since I was doing very well on ebay. So he convinced me to lease a car instead of buying, that's what I did. I didn't have debts at that time, so I got a VW 2011 lease my monthly payments where $340. It was ok with the payments for 1/2 a year till we broke up, and then I had to start paying the rent by myself, which I mentioned earlier that is almost $1,000. For some reason rent in FL is expensive. I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. At one point I wasn't able to afford rent, utilities bill, food, and the car. he paid $1,600 for my full coverage, that's what the dealer required. I won't be able to keep the car since the montly payments are to high and I will have to pay the insurance next year, and If I do it byself, since I'm under 25 I will have to pay $2,500 which I don't have and I don't make.
Give that car up. That saves you $340 a month plus the insurance which will start costing you $208 a month next year.
If you give up your luxury lifestyle of new cars, using a credit card for everything, and an over priced apartment your "debt" is low enough to get out of this.

Can you rent a room to someone else? I'm sure your lease does not allow that but the worst that happens is you get a warning. Rent a room and bath with kitchen priveldges to someone.

If you turn the car in that saves $340. If you rent a room, on a month to month basis (don't rent it for a specific period of time, because if the landlord catches you or the room mate starts bad behavior of some kind, you want to go month to month) Look for a quiet student, etc. No pets and no small children.

Go without a car for 1 month. This will force your brother to take the school bus, or he will get suspended for missing school.
Save that $340 for the one month with no car.
I have bought close to 10 cars on Ebay and drove them several hundred miles to get them home. I then sold them for 100-200% profit. All cost me under $500 each. And were reliable enough to get me 500-700 miles. Never had any mechanical issues.

You should be able to find someone to rent a room. Suppose you rent it for $400 per month, no light bill. You pay that.
Now you have $340 + $400 = $740. Use that to by a JUNKER used car with cash, off Ebay or Craigslist.
Now you don't have the high cost of full insurance coverage. The law says you only need liability insurance.

Ok, then you'll have a used car to get around. You'll have $400 coming in from your room mate.
That $400 should go toward paying off each of the smaller credit card accounts.

I can assist you in finding a good used car on Ebay, or Craigslist being sold near you. You could consider buying from a car lot, but I never buy from dealers. I buy from individuals. They can't cover up hidden repairs.

So in two years you went from nothing but a hopeful immigrant to the USA to:
1. a new car, and a leased one at that.
2. a $1000 per month apartment
3. 6 credit cards
4. Ebay as your only source of income.

I would not recommend all 4 of those, to a U.S. citizen much less an immigrant hopeful.
All are trouble in the end.
Ebay sales go down, you are near bankruptcy or broke.
The credit cards want their money, if you fail to pay for the car they will re-possess it, and you have to move or leave the country due to the high rent. All because of Ebay.
----------------
No car for a month gets you $340.
A room mate gets you $350-400 per month.
A reliable used "who gives a crap what it looks like car" gets you transportation.
You can still sell on Ebay.
Then you will have a way to pay the credit cards off. One buy one.

Go place a room mate ad on Craigslist. It might only take a few days or couple weeks to find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance