Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 AM

122 posts, read 260,335 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm going to be signing a lease for a new apartment in an old colonial house in San Jose downtown. The house has been completely renovated exterior/interior with new carpet and paints.

I'll be taking a 1 bedroom apartment in the house. The apartment has all new carpets and hardwood ground. The kitchen is pretty big and comes with a huge granite countertop and new stainless steel kitchen appliances (fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher). I also have a parking space in the back yard. The back yard has parking spaces for each unit and it's uncovered. It also has a barbecue for tenants use.

I will be paying $1598 for this apartment for a 6 months lease. (For San Jose this rent is pretty average for above average apartments) The landlord only covers the gardening. The rest of all utilities will be on me.

HOWEVER, there is one thing I am confused. I was told the water bill and heating will be calculated on square footage. What is this supposed to mean? Does that mean I will pay a fix amount of the total house bill? If this is the case, is this a norm? I mean I felt like it should be dependent on the usage. If this is the case, is this a deal breaker?

Honestly, I like the place much. Within this price range, usually the apartments I looked had very old kitchen appliances and limited cabinets.

I'll be signing the lease tomorrow (friday) so any quick help would BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanks.

P.S. I'm including pics of the apartment to help you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 AM

21,535 posts, read 8,718,127 times
I'm no real estate expert, but my guess is that because it's a house, not an apartment building, there is probably only one water and electricity meter for the whole building, not separate meters for each unit. Therefore the landlord believes that the only fair way to divvy up the bill would be by square footage. If you really like the apartment and the price is right, I wouldn't consider this to be a deal breaker.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 AM

122 posts, read 260,335 times
Thanks for the response. I kind of don't like how stuff is handled. My questions are not answered right away and I always have to call them. I'm not sure what will happen once I sign the lease and a problem arises.

For example there are still no blinds yet but I was only told they would be taken care of sometime next week. Is this how this process should take place?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm no real estate expert, but my guess is that because it's a house, not an apartment building, there is probably only one water and electricity meter for the whole building, not separate meters for each unit. Therefore the landlord believes that the only fair way to divvy up the bill would be by square footage. If you really like the apartment and the price is right, I wouldn't consider this to be a deal breaker.
^^^^^
100% correct. You are essentially renting a part of a renovated house. There is most likely only one meter, so usage will be based on your sq ft because generally speaking a 800 sq ft 1 bedroom unit will use less water than a 1200 sq ft 2 bedroom unit. It's not a deal breaker unless you are renting the largest unit and it's just yourself living there.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
Thanks for the response. I kind of don't like how stuff is handled. My questions are not answered right away and I always have to call them. I'm not sure what will happen once I sign the lease and a problem arises.

For example there are still no blinds yet but I was only told they would be taken care of sometime next week. Is this how this process should take place?
It sounds like you simply have a lazy realtor. Maybe he/she has bigger fish to fry, which is bad business, but I've seen it done before. If you are worried about them folding on the blinds, have it written in your lease agreement.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
^^^ It seems to be fair.
Just make sure that everything what they promise to do, and everything what they expect you to do is written in the contract.
You can download lease contracts online to see what you have to watch for.

Make detailed pictures of everything in the apartment, so they will not say later that you took something or damaged ( spots, stains, holes, cracks, missing parts, chipped or broken etc.) You are not responsible for the normal wear and tear.

Last edited by elnina; 01-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post

Make sure that written above the signatures and initialed by both parties that the blinds are included and will be installed by "X" date.

You will be paying a portion of the utilities based on your square footage, not use.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Make detailed pictures of everything in the apartment, so they will not say later that you took something or damaged ( spots, stains, holes, cracks, missing parts, chipped or broken etc.) You are only responsible for the normal wear and tear.
I think you mean "you are not responsible for normal wear and tear" (like carpets getting worn in high traffic areas or the finish showing wear on cabinet pulls if you stay there long term.

For example when you move out the carpeted area under your bed is likely to be pristine, while the carpeted area as you walk into the bedroom will likely show heavier wear than the rest of the room. That is normal wear and tear and not the responsibility of the tenant.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Yeah... a typo. I am going to correct it.
However he might be responsible for a very detailed cleaning of the whole apartment, or there would be deductions from deposit. It should be addressed in the contract.
http://rhol.org/rental/WEAR.HTM

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah... a typo. I am going to correct it.
However he might be responsible for a very detailed cleaning of the whole apartment, or there would be deductions from deposit. It should be addressed in the contract.
Wear and Tear Vs. Damages
True.

I'd also get it in writing if that cleaning needs to be done by a service or if you can do it yourself. A service deep clean and carpet cleaning company is going to run around $500 or so. You can do it yourself for about $100 in Rug Doctor rental fees and cleaning supplies.

Some leases only stipulate "broom clean" which means swept, mopped, clean bathrooms and kitchen, but deep cleaning is not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance