Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM

92 posts, read 429,237 times

Advertisements

I have a question for any Tax/IRA wizzes here, maybe someone else has had a similar experience.

My job pays me 50K in the form of a "Taxable Grant" reported on form 1099-G, I also have a Roth IRA which I contributed $4000 to. This is the first year where all my income has come from this 1099-G, last hear half of my income came from my previous job that payed using a W-2.

According to both TurboTax and TacACT, I have to pay a 6% penalty on my Roth contributions because my earned income is 0, thus 100% of my IRA contributions are considered "Excess Contributions" even though I am below the standard $5000 limit. Is there any way around this? Is it possible that this is just a problem with the software itself not considering my 1099-G with regards to my IRA? In other words, if I filed myself or had a professional do it, would I avoid this penalty? Or does my income not count under any circumstances?

If that's the case can I convert my Roth to a Traditional IRA by 4/15 to remove the penalty?

Thanks for any input and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitity View Post
My job pays me 50K in the form of a "Taxable Grant" reported on form 1099-G
No. It doesn't.

If you had a "job" you would be on their payroll with them contributing toward
SSA/FICA and withholding other taxes etc... and all reported on a W2.

Quote:
According to both TurboTax and TacACT... my earned income is 0,
thus 100% of my IRA contributions are considered "Excess Contributions"...
Is there any way around this?
Yeah. Get a real job.

Quote:
Or does my income not count under any circumstances?
Quote:
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) were introduced in the mid-'70s to help
employees
save for retirement and reduce their taxable income... contributions to both
traditional and Roth IRAs can only be made from what the IRS determines to be "earned income."
Quote:
There is no authoritative answer to this, since the IRS has not included it on any lists of
what is taxable compensation for contribution purposes ... since the Box 6 grant is taxable, the IRS
has been very liberal in accepting contributions made with such funds that are obviously not
investment or pension income.
The question (in YOUR case) comes back to whether this "grant money" you have qualifies as the
wages or salary (or using any other term)... as the earned income of a "job".
I don't think it does.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-10-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance