Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 PM

41 posts, read 88,907 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old college student who currently works at a manufacturing plant making $11.33 an hour in Mississippi. I'm a prospective occupational thearpy assistant student hoping to start the program at local community college in August. I'm also in the Army Guard so all of my tuition is covered plus if I do get into the program ill bring in $680 a month plus my drill check which is $200 a month pay grade E4. Here's how my financial situation is as of now.

Checking account-$500
Savings account-$1,500

I feel like I should have much more in my savings but I was unemployed for a period of time and wasn't bringing any income in. I plan to use my savings for moving expenses after I complete the OT program.

If it was you how would you structure these two accounts? Is a CD beneficial in today's time? I'm lost as to how to go about this. My main objective though is to save as much as possible. Mind you I still live with my mom rent free and I have a car note of $400 a month. How would you go about this if it were you? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Keep saving. When your assets are that small... you won't get enough interest to matter.

Your doing good... keep at it and for the first 1-2 years after graduating live like you are now.

You'll be fine.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Agreed with the above poster. Just keep saving. $1500 is pretty good for someone just starting out.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Yes, I think you're doing fine, too. I would not get a CD, there is no reason to lock up your money for a long time for low interest rates. There are some money market accounts that might pay more interest than your savings, but some may require a bigger sum to open. I would check out online banks like ING, Amtrust, etc, they often pay more than brick and mortar banks.

I'm an O.T., btw, and you should be in great shape after you graduate. Best of luck!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
If it was you how would you structure these two accounts? Is a CD beneficial in today's time? I'm lost as to how to go about this. My main objective though is to save as much as possible. Mind you I still live with my mom rent free and I have a car note of $400 a month. How would you go about this if it were you? Thanks
The biggest obstacle is your car note. 400 a month is pretty steep on your income when you're also wanting to build up savings. A less expensive car would go a long way in freeing up more to save.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM

41 posts, read 88,907 times
How much would you guys put into savings each month?? Whats a good amount to have? I make about 350 a week at work; Plus my guard check goes into my savings account that is about $200.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
It depends on your expenses, and what you have left over after paying your bills each month. After bills, I calculate how much I'll need for gas, food, etc during the week, keep a little more for unexpected expenses, and save the rest.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
How much would you guys put into savings each month?? Whats a good amount to have? I make about 350 a week at work; Plus my guard check goes into my savings account that is about $200.

At this stage in your life good grades and resume (Extra curriculars) is more important so long as you have enough to move to your first job. (Particularly since you can live at home... and if it takes you a couple months to get a job you won;t be living under a bridge.)

Do an extra AT over the summer and save that money, perhaps try to pay off the car by graduation and have a few thousand in the bank, and then drive that for the next 10 years...

Don't forget to live a little... go out with coeds, enjoy a vacation so long as it doesn't break the bank... enjoy life.

Life is about balance, don't look back and regret not going to more football games or whatever your thing is.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,186 times
What is the interest rate on your car loan and how much time is left on it?

Open a Roth IRA and contribute every extra dollar you have into it now while you're making so little.

See if there are any scholarships you qualify for at your college, or at any you're interested in transferring to. It makes more sense to pull a 4.0 and get scholarships then work 40 hours and have your grades suffer. Often professional organizations will have student memberships and offer scholarships as well as additional education or mentoring opportunities.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Your age 22. I see some problems. But you can correct them. Identify some specific goal that would increase your net worth over time. This is something that is usually done at age 16. At age 22 you should be well on your way to either a college degree leading to a good income or a comparable business interest. And it seems you are not. So do some serious self study and look at your history to find your skills. Match up a suitable goal based on your abilities and focus on that above all else. Beware that some college degrees are worthless. Do your home work. Also do not overlook other non college but certified skilled works. The trick is to match correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance