Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

No, but I can tell the difference between old money and new money rich people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,277,174 times
Poor....yes. Quite easy.

Rich....not at all. Nowadays almost everyone has a smart phone, or a 2 or 3 year old car and their 22 making $12 an hour.

Much easier to spot the bum walking on the street or the doper.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 PM

131 posts, read 210,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Hang out in the rich and poor side of town and with exceptions of course the people act and look like they came from a different planet.
Very true; the problems presented from the 'rich' and the poor are far apart. One complains that their parents didn't want to buy them a Mercedes-Benz and instead they were given a Nissan Altima, while the other is complaining that they don't have anything to eat tonight. I think we can all universally agree upon which is truly worse.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:30 PM

607 posts, read 980,269 times
The richest people that I know don't flaunt it at all. Some of them live in very nice homes but when you see them at the grocery store they look like everyone else. The difference that I have been able to see is how they speak, how they care themselves, and their confidence.

I've been around poor people my whole life and I know what the usual stuff is - how they speak, how they walk, how their confidence comes across, etc. When I have been around people that I know make a lot of money (more than $500k/year) they dress and eat like everyone else, but they carry themselves differently and their confident level is different.

You can tell if a person has a lot of money if they live in a very expensive home in a low income city, but in general the type of vehicle they drive, what they wear, and where they live doesn't indicate one's wealth.

I've seen plenty of people that grow up middle class and then they get a job paying $125k/year and it all spent on expensive homes, expensive cars, etc. They are dirt poor.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Disagree.

You never know how much money someone has, you only know how much someone spends.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,797,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I believe that wealthy and people who are VERY successful in their careers send the world a message by the way they look, move, walk, express and talk. Being financially successful is a culture, it is a way of life and is a attitude. When I start in a new company- I can tell who is "in charge" even if they are wearing casual clothes just by how they walk through the office.

Other people I know tell me you can not tell if someone is rich or poor, successful in their career or not- just by looking at them. Now days people wear casual clothes and carry themselves informally. The man who looks like a "certified check" may be a middle class bank teller and the man who looks homeless may actually be a millionaire. I agree, this is true in some cases but these are truly the exceptions.

Do you believe that IN MOST CASES you can tell if someone is rich or poor if they are wearing casual clothes?

Please, do not get bogged down with your stories about the exception to the rules, I am talking about in most cases.
arrogance has no price tickets..

Old 06-07-2019, 01:02 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,235,041 times
I never assume anything about a person's wealth. Some like to pretend they are poor or middle class to avoid people asking them for money. Some are so frugal and want to hoard the bulk of their wealth to give it away when they die. Some are just plain life-poor but asset rich.

I do tend to shake my head at all those millionaires who lived well below their means just to die and give it all away to family members who get the enjoyment of spending it.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I never assume anything about a person's wealth. Some like to pretend they are poor or middle class to avoid people asking them for money. Some are so frugal and want to hoard the bulk of their wealth to give it away when they die. Some are just plain life-poor but asset rich.

I do tend to shake my head at all those millionaires who lived well below their means just to die and give it all away to family members who get the enjoyment of spending it.
Haha yeah I agree, you have to find the middle ground I think. Don’t spend money like it’s going out of style, but still enjoy the lifestyle you want if you can afford it. I personally want to see my net worth continue to increase - I wouldn’t want to spend my money down - but I don’t mind slowing the rate of growth to enjoy the quality of life I expect. The goal isn’t to die with the most money possible like it’s some pinball game.

I don’t think I can really tell honestly between most people as far as the OP’s question goes. I can tell who’s poor or uneducated most of the time, though. There are plenty of trashy people and 99.9% of the time they’re poor and stupid beyond being trashy. They give it away by their mannerisms and speech and clothing usually. I’m not talking about the dude who sounds like a hick but could be a Texas oil billionaire, but the ghetto Wal-Mart stereotype is easier to spot.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 AM

10,359 posts, read 8,597,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Disagree.

You never know how much money someone has, you only know how much someone spends.
Even then you may not be able to tell how much they spend. You can drive an exotic car that’s used that people think you paid 250k for but you only paid 80k. Buying used can make one look like they have a lot of money.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 AM

40 posts, read 24,452 times
I think you can tell in most cases by looking at the clothes they wear, their complexion and their weight.

Poor people are more likely to be overweight

Poor people are more likely to have a bad complexion due to their hard unhealthy life and it's impact on their skin.

Poor people are more likely to wear poorly fitted clothes from Walmart vs a higher end store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance