Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,651 times

Advertisements

If I own a rental property in California, where there are Mello-Roos fees, and I decide to pay off the Mello-Roos, can I deduct that as a business expense?

My actual scenerio is that I want to purchase a home that the owner currently rents out, but due to the Mello-Roos on the property (~300/month and still has about 5 years to go), my monthly payments will be out of my comfortable range. Without Mello-Roos, I'm able to pay a higher price for the home and keep my payments to comfortable levels ... so if there is an incentive for me to put in higher offer and get the seller to pay off the mello-roos, it may be a win-win situation for the both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Paying off legislators is NOT considered a legitimate business expense.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:53 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
If I own a rental property in California, where there are Mello-Roos fees, and I decide to pay off the Mello-Roos, can I deduct that as a business expense?

My actual scenerio is that I want to purchase a home that the owner currently rents out, but due to the Mello-Roos on the property (~300/month and still has about 5 years to go), my monthly payments will be out of my comfortable range. Without Mello-Roos, I'm able to pay a higher price for the home and keep my payments to comfortable levels ... so if there is an incentive for me to put in higher offer and get the seller to pay off the mello-roos, it may be a win-win situation for the both of us.
I suppose this is up to interpretation of tax code. If MR fits the IRS definition of "property tax", then it is deductible.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I suppose this is up to interpretation of tax code. If MR fits the IRS definition of "property tax", then it is deductible.

Not exactly. "Ad valorem" property taxes - based on the value of the property - are deductible.

Wikipedia suggests Mello-Roos "fees" might be deductible:

Tax Deduction[edit]

There is conflicting information on whether Mello-Roos taxes are deductible from federal and state income taxes. In general, only "ad valorem" taxes (based on the value of the property) are deductible. Mello-Roos taxes are not ad valorem. However, IRS stated that
"Assessments on real property owners, based other than on the assessed value of the property, may be deductible if they are levied for the general public welfare by a proper taxing authority at a like rate on owners of all properties in the taxing authority’s jurisdiction, and if the assessments are not for local benefits (unless for maintenance or interest charges)." [SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]4[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]
California uses the federal standard for deductibility of property taxes on state income tax. [SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]5[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] In either case, the taxpayer has the burden to establish that deduction of Mello-Roos taxes falls under these criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mello-Roos

HOWEVER, the OP is referring to Mello-Roos fees on a rental property.

Since the Mello-Roos fees are a necessary expense of owning the rental property, I'm fully confident that the fees ARE expensible on the OP's Schedule E.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance