Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm sorry, but I find this attitude tiresome. Yes, property taxes are a pain...but I'm sure you would get pretty angry if your trash wasn't being picked up, your kids didn't have a public school to attend (of course, many don't complain while their kids are in school, only after...) and your city didn't offer police or fire protection. This attitude equating property taxes to "rent" is just very absurd.
Really?

Trash pickup is private (pay them)
Dont have kids
Fire department is vol. And you either pay a subscription or pay th actual costs
And neighbors havent seen a cop in YEARS...

YOU WERE SAYING?

Its rent to the government and a violation of the 4th amendment.

I find the eronious opinion that its not rent (you dont pay, and the men with guns come and kick you out.... absurd!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
If you live in NY (City I assume?) then why are you surprised that you're still renting? Only the top 10% can responsibly afford homes in the price ranges you are talking about.

I think you're focusing too much on the material. You are doing what's right for your kids as how you see it. That is paramount. Kids don't need a yard, the need a playground at a park. They don't need a 2500 sq. ft. house. They need friends and activities and enough space to study. Libraries are great places for quiet.

The "99% of friends" (which I think you're exaggerating btw, but w/e) you speak of probably put all their money into the home and don't save enough for retirement. You and your husband are doing just fine and dandy and while your friends are working while they're 70 you'll be retired. Go you!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
My husband and I have been together for 10 years and married for 6 and we rent but we choose to rent. We do not want the cost of maintenance and insurance. We would rather make the phone call to the landlord when something needs fixed because it fits our lifestyle much better than owning a place. We can afford to purchase any home we want and not have to finance any of the cost we just choose not to. There is no shame in renting no matter how long you have been married. If it fits into your lifestyle and you have more important things to tend to instead of constant yard work, up and maintenance (like your children) then be grateful that you have the time to do just that.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
As to moving out at 24.... lots of people are now. Leaching off their parents (SHOW ME where most are pulling their own weight. What I've seen on it is the opposite.) No thanks.
You live in Arizona, right? Where real estate costs and rents are more affordable, right? Places like the NYC metro are a whole different animal. It's the same story where I live in the SF Bay Area. Don't be so quick to judge .

Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Also, I refused to consider children OR pets until we had our own home. Renting a house would also have been ok but I don't like pets in apartments or a lot of kids either for that matter. It just makes high density/thin wall living a PITA for everyone.

That's just my opinion and I lived by it, I realize other people disagree but I don't care. I didn't need to be a "young mom" at any cost.
I love apartment living but I agree with this. Most apartments and condos are cheaply built and it's really not a good quality of life if you have children. JMO. It's too bad...I really think the building codes need to be stricter for apartment and condo construction.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I read an article today about how home ownership doesn't necessarily change how happy people are with their lives overall. Wish I could find it.
I'm not sure if this was the one you were referring to, but the results of this study found that homeowners were not any happier than renters:

So You Think Owning a Home Will Make You Happy? Don't Be Too Sure - Knowledge@Wharton

Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm sorry, but I find this attitude tiresome. Yes, property taxes are a pain...but I'm sure you would get pretty angry if your trash wasn't being picked up, your kids didn't have a public school to attend (of course, many don't complain while their kids are in school, only after...) and your city didn't offer police or fire protection. This attitude equating property taxes to "rent" is just very absurd.
It depends on how you take the statement. If you take it as an anti-government screed and you have a different philosophy of government, then it rubs you the wrong way. However, if you look at it objectively, it's completely true, regardless of your philosophy of government.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseO View Post
Not married but western culture puts way too much pressure on a mother . You shouldn't feel bad for having to go back to work and not staying at home with the baby. As long as you are there when the child is growing up and when they need you you have no reason to feel like a bad person.
Actually, going back to work can put more pressure on a mom and her husband than staying at home. It's harder to "be there" for your kid when they need you if both parents are working. There is only so much time in a day and kids tend to need their parents at the most inconvenient of times, almost by definition.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You live in Arizona, right? Where real estate costs and rents are more affordable, right? Places like the NYC metro are a whole different animal. It's the same story where I live in the SF Bay Area. Don't be so quick to judge .
Incorrect.

But even if I had/did I dont know where your criticism would have any grounds.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I and my bf both rent now and when we tie the knot most likely will continue to rent. We would like a home of our own, but we also want to live where we love, which for us in as close to the beach as possible. Right now I pay less than $800.00 a month for an apartment 50 feet from the beach, in a resort town where one bedroom condos list for $200,000 and up+condo fees, and single family homes are untouchable for anyone but the very affluent.

If I ever got validation that sometimes renting is better than owning, it was after Hurricane Sandy, when many homeowners down here lost everything. Even homeowners who didn't lose their homes are now facing a choice of paying $100,000 to raise their homes, or paying $60,000 a year in new FEMA flood insurance rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance