Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times

Advertisements

Just wondering as so many talk of the problems that are nation is having. Here is my question.

Lets say that you have no consumer debt. Your home is debt free. You don't have any student loan debts. Do you have to worry if the banks fail? Do you have to worry if the sky falls?

It just seems that someone who owes no one would have more protection than someone who owes on a home or some other kind of debt.

Is it possible to still lose a paid off home? If the world falls apart could someone take my home?

No it is not paid off, just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
No consumer debt
Rent only (don't want to own a home)
No student loan debt

If I did not have to have a checking account for my business I would not have one so no worries if the banks fail. I'll close the business and be done.

As far as taking your home I cannot answer that for you. I would not see any legal reasons why a paid off home can be taken but I'm not expert either.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:28 PM

25,615 posts, read 17,355,583 times
Short of using a gun, in our state no one can take the house. Same in Florida, which is why OJ and others go there to save what is left of their fortune. OJ, apparently, was smarter than most people because he figured out a way to lose everything, anyway.

While living in Texas, we found out a second mortgage is not even possible - that's an old law, it was explained, that was put in place to protect gambling cowboys' families.

We have 3 paid for homes, in fact. With 2 rented out and no resident turnover in many years, it seems to us that we have built - and are maintaining - a financial fort. At least that's the way we like to think of it.

But if a cataclysmic event happens? Like a mega tidal wave on the east coast, a monstrous gamma wave burst, or Yellowstone's mega volcano erupting there is just no telling what might happen. That Woman and I have about 3 weeks worth of freeze dried foods and 50 gallons of water around here, so if the house is still here then we will be too, for about three weeks.

But seriously, as far as I know most states have laws that protect a homeowner - even if he can no longer pay taxes. But those laws may not apply if your house is falling down around your ears. They may not take it away from you, but they will dang sure tell you to move out.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,856,276 times
Hypothetically speaking, one could probably hold-onto a paid-off house, even if they failed to pay taxes. But, suppose one was 'house rich', but, cash-poor and lost their income or had a major healthcare issue that wasn't covered by insurance. One might have a choice between going deep into debt (that they could not pay) or borrowing against one's property, thus, putting a lien against the mortgage.

One might also face a lawsuit that could place a lien against one's home or attach one's home as part of the settlement. Another possibility might include significant damage to a property (fire, storm, flood), leaving the home uninhabitable ... or requiring more of an insurance co-pay than one could afford, without placing a lien threat against the property. ... And these things only address one's home, not one's bank account, pension or other assets that secure their future.

The only way I know of to live in complete security is to "store up treasure in heaven, where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal" -- That alone, not financial or home-security, is the source of "the peace of God that passes all understanding."

Old 07-06-2013, 02:58 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,824,641 times
I was thinking along the same lines as jghorton, who beat me to it. Thanks for saving me all that typing, jghorton!

Old 07-06-2013, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,094,247 times
In our state if you don't pay your property taxes, you will eventually see the house go up for sale. As long as you pay your property taxes and the insurance premiums, you should be okay for shelter. If the sky falls, the problem will be all your friends, family, and enemies that you will have to fight off from moving in to sponge off of you.

By reducing debt, you reduce your risk and increase your options. Most people will argue that they can afford the payments on a their debt, but the real question is can they afford to pay cash right now for all of their debts? Most people couldn't come close to listing all of their debts off the top of their head. The list would be too long.

By not having debt, you have so much more room in your budget to save and invest. The money that was going to make payments, can now be saved. It is a huge difference. Instead of paying the piper, you are paying yourself to the Max. I say let the banker fend for himself. Your largest monthly payment, should be what you pay to yourself.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,160,869 times
My definition of the "sky falling" would be like financial armageddon...and/or government/civil unrest...

The best protection against the sky falling would be paid off everything, no debt, AND LOTS of savings. Without savings I'm not sure being debt-free will protect against "the sky falling." One might even ask if SAVINGS aren't more important than having no debt, or a debt free home.

Even with a paid off house...without savings:
-- a severe illness or disability -- even with health insurance -- could cause debt, and I believe a lien could be placed on the house (whether a sale could be FORCED to debtors could be paid, I guess someone will let us know)

-- a paid off house that's damaged beyond insurance coverage on it could lead to debt

-- call me a conspiracy theorist, but in Greece didn't the government just say on accounts of a certain amount, they were just going to TAKE (or try to take) half of the account. I won't say -- and never would -- that, that couldn't happen here
(I live in a state where they're taxing us for rainfall -- no joke. Oh, that's right, they call it a water runoff assessment that's just BASED on the amount of rainfall on your property. ARRRGHHHH!)

I'd say only the truly wealthy would never have to worry about the "sky falling."
For most people just try to have as much money as you can, and try to insure against as many negatives as reasonable. Sometimes I feel like if I insured against EVERY possibility I'd be spending 500 a month just on insurance which -- I might never need. Do we have to insure against EVERY damned thing in life?

Even for myself, I'm considering long term care insurance. I even looked at flood insurance (and I'm in an area that's NEVER flooded). Thank goodness as I'm with my employer have health insurance, disability coverage, and basic life insurance so that doesn't have to come out of my after tax net take home pay. I feel like I'd have no money left if I got all the insurance for every possibility for for some things I'll just have to rely on savings (self insuring).

Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Having a problem and owning your house is better that having a problem and NOT owning.
When an adjustment in outlook or practices is called for... it's one more asset in your favor.

The key in all these is the value of the house relative to your other assets (and income).
Moderation.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM

111 posts, read 107,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering as so many talk of the problems that are nation is having. Here is my question.

Lets say that you have no consumer debt. Your home is debt free. You don't have any student loan debts. Do you have to worry if the banks fail? Do you have to worry if the sky falls?

It just seems that someone who owes no one would have more protection than someone who owes on a home or some other kind of debt.

Is it possible to still lose a paid off home? If the world falls apart could someone take my home?

No it is not paid off, just wondering.
No, they can't take your home if you owe no debt on it. At least not legally now. But the banks can and do have laws changed all the time. So they might be able to change the law and take it even if it is paid off. But they can't as of now.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:55 PM

22,633 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Actually, in some places you CAN lose your paid-off home... if you are in deep arrears with property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance