Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times

Advertisements

They buy off all cc, student loan, etc.. debt. You then pay a monthly bill to National Debt Relief. I was told that they negotiate all the debt so you actually wind up paying less total. I am not familiar with these companies and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on if its worth it or is it a scam. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
I don't know about that particular company, but heres,what they do:

They crash and trash your credit by letting your payments go at least 6 months before tgey negotiate with the creditors.

Then they settle your debt for pennies on the dollar, with your approval.

Then YOU get a 1099-c debt relief tax form and have to pay ordinary income tax as though it was normal earnings income when you file your taxes and YOU owe the IRS taxes on the amount forgiven.

If YOU can, negotiate yourself directly with the creditors, and see what they can do to help you.

Not ALL credit companies will work with such debt relief companies , and some will still plave liens against your property or garnish your wages by mysteriously taking you to court, you don't show up or even if you do they may still get a judgement against you.
Credit companies, especially credit card companies who automatically increase your limits without your consebt shoukd be held partially liable for the increases yet gave you getting you further in their debt, but it doesn't work that way.

It will take you 7-10 years to recover your credit rating, even if you have credit you maintain that is not part of the settlement accounts.

Also, I don't think you can discharge student loan debt in such a manner, so if they tell you they can, they are probably not truthful with you. Student loan debt CANNOT even be discharged in bankruptcy, you are still responsible for it, it is almost impossible to get rid of student loan debt in any way except to pay it. Be very wary if this company tells you they can settle your student loan debt!

My best friend and his wife went through this, still haven't recovered from 2008 when they lost their house. Because she defaulted on student loan debt, a lien was placed against the house, when they lost the house, tgey garnished her wages. Then when the loans were finally paid off, she had trouble getting the garnishment stopped because the students debt holder woukd not notify her employer it was paid off. She solved 're problem by getting a different job, and taking the student loan company to small claims court, which didn't mean she won, but tgey finally ordered the garnishment stopped and never refunded get the difference. The credit negotiator could NOT deal with her student loans.

So if you can negotiate directly, I try that first. Call them and ask tgem first to reduce your interest rate if you are still in decent standing with them. If tgey don't, ask for a reduced minimum pay ment and a hold on your credit line. If you have available credit, ask them to reduce your credit line to what you owe only. Try to work with them first.

A debt consolidation company should be absolute last resort.

Good luck

Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
thank you so much for the information. Truly scary stuff. My credit is top notch but I was just looking for an easy way to consolidate and get it over with. I'll continue to research but it looks like just plugging away is the way to go.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
There are better companies out there that will actually negotiate interest rates (sometimes to 0) and lower payments directly with the credit card companies and start paying right away. This is what you want. You can usually get things paid off in 3 years and your credit score will go up by the end. You pay them a set amount each month and they pay the credit cards.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
thank you so much for the information. Truly scary stuff. My credit is top notch but I was just looking for an easy way to consolidate and get it over with. I'll continue to research but it looks like just plugging away is the way to go.
Try getting a personal loan from a bank or credit union.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There are better companies out there that will actually negotiate interest rates (sometimes to 0) and lower payments directly with the credit card companies and start paying right away. This is what you want. You can usually get things paid off in 3 years and your credit score will go up by the end. You pay them a set amount each month and they pay the credit cards.
Thats,what my friend thought tgey were getting...a consolidation loan with rates of interest drastically reduced on their maxed out lines of credit.

That is NOT what they got.

Be very wary.

OP Plugging away may be your best bet. Get an additional job if need be and dedicate it all to the debt.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try getting a personal loan from a bank or credit union.
Credit unions routinely offer personal consolidation loans of up to $10k only, for up to 5 years payback.

If the OP needs more, may be out of luck but it may help.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Depending on the student loan rates, it may be very possible to refinance at a lower interest rate via personal loan. If the student loans are huge, it may not be possible. I don't get the impression that a 2nd mortgage or HELOC is a possibility.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
I have gone through one of the website where they provide advice about all of the debt. [url]https://moneyadviceservice.net/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance