Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM

681 posts, read 2,800,567 times

Advertisements

We need to purchase an SUV for reasons I will not get into here, but would like opinions on the best option of financing a later model used vehicle between the following (amount financed ~15k):

Dealer Financing (0.9%)
Car loan from bank (~3%+)
Car loan from credit union (~1.49%)
Home Equity Line of Credit (Tax advantages?)
Borrowing from 401K (not sure what the re-payment requirements are, but essentially paying myself back with interest)

I only have experience in getting financing from the dealer with my first car (0% interest) and have no idea/experience with the other options so would like to know out of these options, what would be the smartest/least expensive way of financing my future care purchase.

Ideally I would pay off the loan in 3 years.

To throw another scenario in the situation, I may have move out of the country so with any of the options, would I be forced to pay off the loan in full at the time I leave the US, or can I continue paying in regular installments for the period of the loan (I guess it's the home equity LOC and 401K borrowing that will most likely force me to pay back the loan in full)?

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
401K borrowing has its downsides. For one, you will be paying back pre-tax dollars with post-tax dollars (Later, when you actually withdraw the funds, you will pay taxes again. Secondly, while the loan is outstanding, you will lose the potential earnings in your 401K account. Thirdly, as you pointed out, the loan will be due in full, if you leave the company. Finally, if, for some reason, you don't pay the 'loan' back, both taxes and penalty will be due.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 AM

846 posts, read 1,880,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
We need to purchase an SUV for reasons I will not get into here, but would like opinions on the best option of financing a later model used vehicle between the following (amount financed ~15k):

Dealer Financing (0.9%)
Car loan from bank (~3%+)
Car loan from credit union (~1.49%)
Home Equity Line of Credit (Tax advantages?)
Borrowing from 401K (not sure what the re-payment requirements are, but essentially paying myself back with interest)

I only have experience in getting financing from the dealer with my first car (0% interest) and have no idea/experience with the other options so would like to know out of these options, what would be the smartest/least expensive way of financing my future care purchase.

Ideally I would pay off the loan in 3 years.

To throw another scenario in the situation, I may have move out of the country so with any of the options, would I be forced to pay off the loan in full at the time I leave the US, or can I continue paying in regular installments for the period of the loan (I guess it's the home equity LOC and 401K borrowing that will most likely force me to pay back the loan in full)?

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.
you are looking @ a difference of $14 a month between the first 3 options...

do not borrow against your house to buy a car. ever.

401k loan shouldn't even be thought of because your 401k can beat 4% or 5% or 6%....so you'd be losing money...plus the things JGHORTON mentioned.

You can get a decent SUV for about $6-9k...maybe you need expand your search. With a future of unknown, I would buy the best vehicle for year 1 (you are wanting to pay $400/month, so look for a $5k SUV), pay it off, then move up to a $10k SUV, rinse and repeat.....then after 3 years you will have you a pretty nice ride...as opposed to spending $15k on a ride that will depreciate as fast as you are paying on it.

DON'T RUSH INTO THIS...take your time and do your due diligence. Best deals go to people not in a "hurry".

good luck.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
you are looking @ a difference of $14 a month between the first 3 options...

401k loan shouldn't even be thought of because your 401k can beat 4% or 5% or 6%....so you'd be losing money...plus the things JGHORTON mentioned.

You can get a decent SUV for about $6-9k...maybe you need expand your search. With a future of unknown, I would buy the best vehicle for year 1 (you are wanting to pay $400/month, so look for a $5k SUV), pay it off, then move up to a $10k SUV, rinse and repeat.....then after 3 years you will have you a pretty nice ride...as opposed to spending $15k on a ride that will depreciate as fast as you are paying on it.

DON'T RUSH INTO THIS...take your time and do your due diligence. Best deals go to people not in a "hurry".

good luck.
Wow. Interesting thoughts, and definately something to look into.

My only thing about buying a $5k car this year then trading up the year later is that I need something that is reliable because we will be using the vehicle to transport kids and grandparents and go on long trips. I don't think I can risk doing this at this time.

I am hesitant purchasing older vehicles with high milage for reliability issues and questionable maintenance history. Also, my philosophy on purchasing vehicles is that they should not be looked as being an investment (because they really are not) and that I will keep the vehicle until it dies. No intention of trading in the future. So spending $15k-$20k today is reasonable for me personally even if the car depreciates faster than my payments.

That being said, your advice is a good one for someone that is aiming to get into a really nice vehicle and gives an affordable option on how to get there over a period of a few years.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
401k loan shouldn't even be thought of
You can get a decent SUV for about $6-9k...
^^This.

Buy the best vehicle that your CASH allows for.
If it's the SUV type that you prefer? Great. If not... maybe next time.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Reading between he lines, it sounds like taking out a car loan could get you into some trouble financially, and sooner than later.

Car debt is bad, any way you slice it. Not all used cars are unreliable death traps.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:22 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
Agreed with many , buy the BEST you can with the cash you have..5k cars break, 10k cars break and 15 k cars break ......

Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^This.

Buy the best vehicle that your CASH allows for.
If it's the SUV type that you prefer? Great. If not... maybe next time.

Agree on the cash purchase.
I fully understand arbitrage, etc, but I paid cash for my SUV earlier this year, even though that took thousands of $ out of a skyrocketing stock market.
But, it does feel good not to have a car loan payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance