Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving the federal government after 6 years and 9 months for a job with the state of New Jersey. As a federal employee I paid into the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS), which is a defined benefit pension system and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), which is essentially the government's version of a 401K. I have a few options as to what I can do with what I've contributed over the years when I change jobs and I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

The first option would be to leave my FERS contributions where they are. If I do that, when I'm 62 I'll be able to collect my full benefit, which would be about $372 a month by my calculations. Not exactly a huge sum, but hey, it's something. It's worth noting that if I stay with the state of NJ for 30 years, I will still only be 62 and three years shy of full retirement age (65) and if I take retirement at 62 from the state, my annual benefit will be reduced by 3%. In this case, having the FERS pension coming in every month would more than cover the 3% reduction in benefit.

The other option would be to roll my FERS contributions (about $3000) into either the TSP or a new individual retirement account. Obviously that is subject to market conditions and so on, and I don't know enough to project how that could affect the growth of my retirement accounts to make an informed decision on that. I have about $30K in my TSP right now and will likely leave the money where it is and start a new individual account with the state.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Why would you ever want to move from a fed job to the state? I'd think long and hard about that move.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why would you ever want to move from a fed job to the state? I'd think long and hard about that move.
^ ^ Ditto.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Any ideas?
talk to your plan administrator, they will give you an idea of a guaranteed return (probably 3%) and then shop that out, my wife was a teacher for a decade in Colorado and paid into PERA...anyway, we rolled hers into a mutual fund....and have CRUSHED that 3% (since inception we are up over 30% in 3 years).

YMMV...but I would move your money ASAP out of the government's care, custody, and control.

Last edited by midwestlaxer; 10-23-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
^ ^ Ditto.
Because he's an at-will Congressional employee. That's not exactly lifetime security there.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Because he's an at-will Congressional employee. That's not exactly lifetime security there.
Correct. Also, many of the "perks" for federal career civil service folks (union representation, GS payscale, set working hours, overtime/comp time) do not exist for us. That said, the research I have done has overwhelmingly pointed toward leaving the money where it is. Are any of you in the lifecycle fund in TSP? I was thinking of moving all of my money to that and basically keeping my hands off of it. As for stability and security, the job I am moving to is in higher ed (one of the state universities), which is historically much more stable than the NJ civil service system at large, so at least for me, it was the right choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance