Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM

20 posts, read 65,371 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you see a lot of these posts on this forum, so I apologize if there is a thread dedicated to these types of questions already.

I'm a 22 year old recent grad who moved home after college in May. I got a full time job in July and while it has nothing to do with what I want to do as my career, it is helping me save up for graduate school so I can eventually do what I really want. I make $11.75 an hour 45 hours a week, save at least 20% of each paycheck, and have about $3000 in a savings account right now.

My home life is fine and I don't desperately need to leave, but I do want to be independent. My parents are getting a divorce so one lives in the family home while the other lives in a shared apartment for a week and then they switch. This allows me and my 16 year old sister to live stable lives in our childhood home. They plan to sell the house in the spring but both offered me a place to stay in their new homes. I don't really want to do that because they have both started dating other people and I want to move forward in my life. My plan was that I would live at home for a year, so if I moved out when they sold the house I'd be right on track. If I move now, I'm 6 months early but I'm ready to live on my own.

I found a large 5 bedroom/2.5 bath townhome in a nice neighborhood in Baltimore (Charles Village, if you're familiar) for $425 a month plus utilities. It's a monthly lease, so I don't have to worry about being stuck there if I need to move for grad school. The other people living in the house all seem like good, responsible people, but if they end up being awful I could find somewhere else because of the easy lease arrangement or survive because I've lived with people I dislike before. Moving would put my work commute at about 30 minutes (a 20 minute increase). If I moved in, the bedroom would be the biggest I've lived in since my sister took over my childhood bedroom and the biggest closet I've had since...ever. My friends in the city are a short drive, bus or bike ride away. I don't like to rely on anyone, especially my parents, who have already done so much for me. They paid for my entire college education so I graduated with no student loan debt.

Should I take this great opportunity or save money by continuing to live at my parents house?

Last edited by cheezliz; 11-03-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,659,735 times
depends how much money you need to save for grad school. At 22 I would stay with my parents as long as they are amenable to save more money.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezliz View Post
I'm a 22 year old recent grad who moved home after college in May.
I got a full time job in July ... I make $11.75
Your problem isn't living at Mom's (which yes, you need to keep doing).
The problem is you should be earning so much more.

Fix that.
Forget grad school until you do.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Your problem isn't living at Mom's (which yes, you need to keep doing).
The problem is you should be earning so much more.

Fix that.
Forget grad school until you do.
Ha! I'd love to fix that, but I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, little experience, and in this economy I'm lucky to have the entry-level, soul sucking office job that I've acquired. My friends without engineering degrees are teachers, waiters, or work in retail. I'd feel lucky if I got a raise to $12/hr. If I get another job it will be something related to psych so I can get experience before grad school and I can't imagine that that would pay more than I make now. I've accepted the fact that I will be going into debt to attend grad school. There is absolutely no way around that, even with scholarships, grants, and working as a teaching assistant.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezliz View Post
I'd love to fix that...
Those last four years and who knows how much money you just spent? It's all gone.
You're starting over.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Those last four years and who knows how much money you just spent? It's all gone.
You're starting over.
Starting over? I'm not sure I follow. I'm moving up using what I have.

Regardless, I thought a bit about being able to save the money I'd spend on rent between now and my original move out date and decided I should keep living at home ($2125 by March). I'm going to email the girl who gave me the tour and tell her to give my e-mail address to whoever moves in so they can let me know if they or another roommate moves out later though.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Stay home. Don't move until after grad school if parents don't mind. Being independent means stupid if your broke. Do you know how much utilities are in that kind/size house?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
Do you have a local VA hospital? If so apply there. As for moving out I say build up your bank account as much as you can. Try to have 3 to 6 months of funds. Nothing like having your own.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,029 times
I would say stick it out until March for sure. Bank as much as you can. Can you get a seasonal part-time job to add to your savings.

I know everyone here says stay with your parents, but you are already 22. There is nothing like being on your own in my opinion. I think you have to live on your own for a bit before you get into any kind of relationship and consider living together. You have a job and I'm sure you will get a better one. Your parents aren't kicking you out, so worst case, if you had to, you could come back to live with them. That was my worst case. I'm 32 now and it hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Listen to CaltoVegas above about VA employment. Actually, you should apply for all VA jobs and even move to a different location if you get a job in your career/education area. That should be your goal..apply like crazy for all VA locations.

I would stay at my parents for 6 months and save every penny I could save. You really need more savings for when you move out. If you are applying for VA jobs, your out-of-area move could come at any time. So it would be easier to stay at your parents' for the next 6 months or so. When they sell their home, then you move on. (or if you get a VA job the requires moving soon, you do that). And you will have more money saved between now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance