Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty heft debt on my hands, i don't want to go into details but I'm about 6 thousand in debt maybe a little more. I have been able to manage it somewhat until now, meaning i have been making the minimum payments, however now I'm in trouble because I'm not making as much money as i used to and i don't have the money to pay the minimum payments. I know that if i go to my mom that she will immediately help me and most likely just pay off all the debt so that it doesn't hurt my score, my first problem with this is how do i even bring such a topic to the table? Secondly, i don't want to do this i would rather try to deal with it myself first, any suggestions of what i can do as a 21 year old college student? Please help with any advice you may have thanks its greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
What is the debt? This is important as the type of debt depends on the options available.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM

one credit card is a barclay card financing visa, and the other is an amazon store credit card

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
u think 6k is a lot of debt i personally know people with 180k of student non dischargable debt.
i admire your morals of not going to mama.
when u make a mistake its painful and the intent of the pain is so that u do not repeat the mistake. learn a trade free thru community college and military.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djej436 View Post
I'm about 6 thousand in debt maybe a little more... as a 21 year old college student?
This is not particularly exceptional. The relevant questions, are
1) how many credit hours you have completed... and
2) how much more time/money will be required to complete the BA/BS... and
3) will the degree qualify for a job that pays well enough to repay the debt (promptly)... and
4) what sort of entity you owe the money to.

At 21 you should be about done with school and soon (June 2014?) qualified for a decent enough job
that will allow you to pay back that debt in a year or two.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm graduating next semester, i have a trust fund that pays for my college no problem there. Lastly yes i am earning a business management and french degree so i believe that i will be able to pay back the debt maybe in the next year, I'm not sure because i have a lot of other things to pay for living in nyc.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM

so is it worth telling my mom? or should i just wait until i get a good enough job and pay it off on some kind of arrangement? Do i call the credit cards and tell them i can't make monthly payments right now?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
i have a trust fund that pays for my college no problem there.
Well, there's a problem *somewhere*

Quote:
...so is it worth telling my mom?
Tell her what? You're 21 years old.

Quote:
Do i call the credit cards and tell them...?
Like any other adult... yeah, you face your responsibilities.

btw... what did you run up those bills on?
groceries or vacations and toys?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 PM

tell her that i ran up this debt buying vacations and electronics and all kinds of stupid things when i was 18. or do i wait till i get a good enough job hopefully by this summer and begin paying it off now? i don't want debt collection agencies to begin to call me

Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
tell her that i ran up this debt buying vacations and electronics and all kinds of stupid things...
Who is in charge of the trust fund?

Unless it's Mom... I'll suggest you deal with this **independent** of her.
Either way... try to deal with this **independent** of the trust fund person as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance