Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,422,618 times

Advertisements

My company allows me to defer my bonus and a % of my income. This is above 401K contributions. When I retire these funds are scheduled to come to me over the next 10 years after my retirement date. I understand I will owe taxes but will I have to pay social security on the funds? Are the distributions considered "income" and can I make an IRA contribution against them? These funds are at risk if the company goes Chapter 11. I was willing to take the gamble but I have a lot of money in this account and cannot change the distribution. I am 3 years away from retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:44 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My company allows me to defer my bonus and a % of my income. This is above 401K contributions. When I retire these funds are scheduled to come to me over the next 10 years after my retirement date. I understand I will owe taxes but will I have to pay social security on the funds? Are the distributions considered "income" and can I make an IRA contribution against them? These funds are at risk if the company goes Chapter 11. I was willing to take the gamble but I have a lot of money in this account and cannot change the distribution. I am 3 years away from retirement.
Deferred income is typically not taxable until the employee withdraws the money in an ERISA-qualified plan. You need to call your plan sponsor and get more details about this arrangement, because you have not given enough information in your post to help you. Being that you are 3 years from retirement...you might want to call your "GUY"...you do have financial planner....right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance