Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question.

I just landed a "good" job finally in which I can apply the skills I've learned in school and contribute to society. This job that is in very much a in-demand position in an area that will be greatly needed in the future is paying a mere 32k/year. What's deceiving is that the statistics that I saw prior to getting into the field was that the average salary for this job was much higher (45k/year to be exact). Thinking that this might be an outlier of sorts, another job in a same area doing the same thing is paying just about the same amount of money.

So I am looking into housing and purchasing a vehicle. INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE!

My entire PAYCHECK is going to be going to be paying to simply live.

AND I'M A relatively young, SINGLE MAN with no family, animals, medical bills, etc!

I have NO idea how families are doing it. I see all these huge trucks / SUVs (I see at over 30k at the dealerships) on the road (no doubt they are gas hogs as well). I with my great job am looking at some 2001 vehicle so I can pay cash and not dig another $15k or so of debt to my tally. I could get into food, utilities, cable, internet, Iphones, etc.. I have a little used phone I got off Amazon with just about the cheapest plan available (no smart phone). Eating out? forget that.. can barely afford to eat in.

So a little rant. What's kind of funny (got to laugh about it) is that this job is a promotion from a "good pay" of $9.75/hr.. a mere $750 check give or take for a two-week pay period. For those with one of these Dodge Ram's, probably that entire paycheck is paying for the payment and gas.. not including Rent, Food, Taxes, etc..

I am amazed.. I don't know how people are doing it.. I guess the welfare system is keeping this economy a float.

All the hard work finally paid off.. as I push my rusty bucket on wheels down the road hoping to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM

2,536 posts, read 3,104,199 times
Perhaps the huge trucks you see on the road are being financed by their "owners". If those folks are also making mortgage payments on a house, they're in a crummy situation. It's not a good idea to have a note on two things at once.

Your former "good" pay of $9.75 was not a decent hourly wage. I wonder what made you think it was.

What kind of vehicle are you considering? I'm glad you're thinking used instead of new.

Edited to add: congratulations on the new job!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I just landed a "good" job finally...
1) it may not be as good a job as you think.
2) pay yourself first (save/invest) no matter how much you earn
3) live on a LOT less than you earn

Quote:
This job is paying a mere 32k/year.
...the average salary for this job was much higher (45k/year to be exact).
Where are you located?

In Peoria IL the $32,000 is enough to maintain a modest life on your own hook.
You'll need to share a home and limit yourself to a modest car... but you can maintain.
Go up to Chicago let alone to Manhattan or Los Angeles and you'll be on welfare.

Last edited by MrRational; 11-03-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
This is a serious question.

I just landed a "good" job finally in which I can apply the skills I've learned in school and contribute to society. This job that is in very much a in-demand position in an area that will be greatly needed in the future is paying a mere 32k/year. What's deceiving is that the statistics that I saw prior to getting into the field was that the average salary for this job was much higher (45k/year to be exact). Thinking that this might be an outlier of sorts, another job in a same area doing the same thing is paying just about the same amount of money.
The average is meaningless. Median pay tells you more than the average can. For my field and my school, the average starting pay is $110K, but the median starting pay is $78K. A few highly paid people can skew the average up and distort the picture.

Quote:
So I am looking into housing and purchasing a vehicle. INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE!

AND I'M A relatively young, SINGLE MAN with no family, animals, medical bills, etc!
Adjust your expectations and live accordingly. I live in a very high cost area and my expenses barely exceed $3K/month, actually, I think my expenses are less than $3K/month.

Quote:
I have NO idea how families are doing it. I see all these huge trucks / SUVs (I see at over 30k at the dealerships) on the road (no doubt they are gas hogs as well). I with my great job am looking at some 2001 vehicle so I can pay cash and not dig another $15k or so of debt to my tally. I could get into food, utilities, cable, internet, Iphones, etc.. I have a little used phone I got off Amazon with just about the cheapest plan available (no smart phone). Eating out? forget that.. can barely afford to eat in.
Most families are living on more than $30K/year.

Quote:
So a little rant. What's kind of funny (got to laugh about it) is that this job is a promotion from a "good pay" of $9.75/hr.. a mere $750 check give or take for a two-week pay period. For those with one of these Dodge Ram's, probably that entire paycheck is paying for the payment and gas.. not including Rent, Food, Taxes, etc..
What makes you think the owners of those trucks are making $30K/yr?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

In Peoria IL the $32,000 is enough to maintain a modest life on your own hook.
You'll need to share a home and limit yourself to a modest car... but you can maintain.
Go up to Chicago let alone to Manhattan or Los Angeles and you'll be on welfare.
No car is needed in Chicago and rent can be as low as $500-$600/month with a roommate.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I made $34k my first year out of school.

Had a roommate. $550 a month on rent. Plenty left to pay for everything else. Gym, occasional plane tickets, maid every two weeks, new truck. *shrug*

Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
I'm with MrRational. it all depends where you live and how you live. We were living in a town of 2500 and were buying a house on an acre lot for $650/month. I have never owned a new car and probably won't. As long as it's in good shape and drivable that's all that matters.
The best statement on living on what you have coming in came from a sweet little black lady who died in the 70s at 98 yrs old. All she had coming in was her social security. My mother asked her how she made it on that one check. All she said was "I pays what I owes, and I make do on the rest." Can't say it any better than that.
You can make a living and have a place to live and a car on just about any salary. Might not be something close to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, but it's yours!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
Is your usual way of communicating to complain? If so, how about considering changing the pattern? Force yourself to make positive comments and try developing that habit. Complaining is a way of life for some people. Is there any way you can muster up thanks for your job?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What makes you think the owners of those trucks are making $30K/yr?
I see a lot of trucks. I don't see a lot of jobs being offered for more than $30K/yr..

It is an economically depressed little area though.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Is your usual way of communicating to complain? If so, how about considering changing the pattern? Force yourself to make positive comments and try developing that habit. Complaining is a way of life for some people. Is there any way you can muster up thanks for your job?
I saved the rant for the internet. I'm not a habitual complainer, but the frustration looms.. but your right regarding being thankful for what you have however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance