Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times

Advertisements

My husband and I started saving for real estate last year (in a high yield savings account), but I think we're coming to the realization that we won't buy any new property until our youngest is close to exiting the school district in 7 years.

That's an awkward amount of time. The standard advice is not to invest money you will need within 5 years, which is fine, except, I can't exclude the possibility that we won't find a great new home toward, say, beginning of my son's junior year of high school and we just suck it up, buy a year or so early and try to rent it out until my kid finishes up high school.

I'm contemplating opening up a CD ladder, starting with a 5 year CD with everything we've saved to date. At this time next year I'll open another, a 4 year.. and repeat the process arranging it so that all CDs will expire 5 years from now. I can get 2.6% today on a 5 year, which is 1% more than my savings account.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My husband and I started saving for real estate... in 7 years.
I'm contemplating opening up a CD ladder...
That'll work well enough.
Mostly it's about doing it: Making the deposit and being done.
Then getting on with your lives and not obsessing over a possible half point of interest here or there.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:09 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,227 times
Rares are going up, I would not go too far out at this point, why go 5 when you can go 2.
https://www.purepoint.com/online-ban...sit/high-yield
36 monts 3%
24 months 2.75%
18 months 2.5%
12 months 2.3%
Almost not worth going longer than 18 to 24 months IMO since we know we will likely have at least two more rate increases this year alone.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
I agree with a short time frame you are less looking at the rate of return but just saving as much as you can. Sometimes people make the effort to find the best interest rate and then don't end up actually saving. And by saving I mean really saving, by cutting back and reducing expenses as much as possible, and saving every single windfall you get like tax returns or monetary gifts. You have a goal so make it happen, and it will if you have the desire and discipline.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Rares are going up, I would not go too far out at this point, why go 5 when you can go 2.
[url]https://www.purepoint.com/online-banking/certificates-of-deposit/high-yield[/url]
36 monts 3%
24 months 2.75%
18 months 2.5%
12 months 2.3%
Almost not worth going longer than 18 to 24 months IMO since we know we will likely have at least two more rate increases this year alone.
Wow. I need to look at that...

Ally allows for 1 rate increase on a 2 year and 2 increases on a 4 year. I would need to check and make sure they don't allow for decreases... need to read the fine print!

I'm happy that this seems like a reasonable plan at least and I'm not being suggested something outside of CDs altogether.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I agree with a short time frame you are less looking at the rate of return but just saving as much as you can. Sometimes people make the effort to find the best interest rate and then don't end up actually saving. And by saving I mean really saving, by cutting back and reducing expenses as much as possible, and saving every single windfall you get like tax returns or monetary gifts. You have a goal so make it happen, and it will if you have the desire and discipline.
We have a set amount that we are saving each month towards a down payment. Some months we have extra savings aside from our normal contributions towards the down payment, taxable and travel. I'm more comfortable sending extras (either from monthly saving or a windfall) into our taxable instead of the down payment. If we want to have an early retirement we will need to depend on non-retirement investments until we age into other vehicles like IRAs, 401k and social security, etc...

All variables remaining constant we should have about $400k. In seven years it would be closer to $550k. That may or may not equate to a 50+% down payment. It's an expensive area, and we may or may not wish to remain in it.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
We have a set amount that we are saving each month towards a down payment. Some months we have extra savings aside from our normal contributions towards the down payment, taxable and travel. I'm more comfortable sending extras (either from monthly saving or a windfall) into our taxable instead of the down payment. If we want to have an early retirement we will need to depend on non-retirement investments until we age into other vehicles like IRAs, 401k and social security, etc...

All variables remaining constant we should have about $400k. In seven years it would be closer to $550k. That may or may not equate to a 50% down payment. It's an expensive area, and we may or may not wish to remain in it.

Any reason why you want 50% down? Seems like a lot of money just losing out on earning potential.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Any reason why you want 50% down? Seems like a lot of money just losing out on earning potential.
A couple reasons I guess.

First of all, we are rather debt adverse. Keeping our expenses low makes us feel more at ease and that feeling is pretty valuable.

Secondly (and probably more pragmatic), we probably couldn't qualify for a mortgage over $500k. So if we're looking at possibly buying a water front condo in a quaint Seattle/Puget Sound neighborhood, we might very well need both $500k down payment and $500k mortgage.

Just how things are these days.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
If it were me, I'd probably put some of it in equities. However, I have a high tolerance for risk. For someone who is risk averse, I'd still suggest 10% in equities.

It is easy for me to say the above. It isn't my money we're talking about.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If it were me, I'd probably put some of it in equities. However, I have a high tolerance for risk. For someone who is risk averse, I'd still suggest 10% in equities.

It is easy for me to say the above. It isn't my money we're talking about.

Well... each month we buy VTSAX, about 25% of the amount that goes towards the down payment.

And then there are the monthly 401k contributions and a substantial proportion buys into equities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance