Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:56 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times

Advertisements

This is something I started doing about 8 years ago and try to do it once per year. Once I update it, I provide a copy to my wife. It seems to help recharge her batteries on the importance of growing our retirement and it gets us both in the mood to refocus on where we sit. She was never one to think about the future as she was mostly a "live for today' type of person.

This has really been big for us as it is so much fun to look up each item and punch in the numbers and see your investments, equity and net worth grow and watch your liabilities dwindle. I LOVE doing that.

Not to mention if you need to go to a bank for financing for something, they are generally impressed if you whip one out.

I just updated mine today. originally I found a spread sheet by googling it and then modified one to fit my needs.

I keep a running total of IRA's, each of our 401k's etc on the right hand side that total out at the bottom and then flood to the FS.

Anyone else do this or something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
I ran a Net Worth report on Quicken for my Mom the last 10 years she was alive. She always got a kick out of it. And then I would get the stories about how her and Dad started out on $125 a month income. I got a kick out of those

No need to run one on myself. I just open Quicken and I've got it.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
This is something I started doing about 8 years ago and try to do it once per year. Once I update it, I provide a copy to my wife. It seems to help recharge her batteries on the importance of growing our retirement and it gets us both in the mood to refocus on where we sit. She was never one to think about the future as she was mostly a "live for today' type of person.

This has really been big for us as it is so much fun to look up each item and punch in the numbers and see your investments, equity and net worth grow and watch your liabilities dwindle. I LOVE doing that.

Not to mention if you need to go to a bank for financing for something, they are generally impressed if you whip one out.

I just updated mine today. originally I found a spread sheet by googling it and then modified one to fit my needs.

I keep a running total of IRA's, each of our 401k's etc on the right hand side that total out at the bottom and then flood to the FS.

Anyone else do this or something like this?
Every month. We post the chart on the inside of the garage door as a reminder that keeping a lid on frivolous spending will help us reach our long-term goals.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
I have a fully built-out Excel doc that goes month-by-month. I update it with any anomalies as they come up and once more at EOM. Everything else (401k, stocks, etc.) I keep an eye on regularly, and expenses are tracked on a phone app. All bases covered!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:09 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

No need to run one on myself. I just open Quicken and I've got it.
Same here.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I have an Excel spreadsheet showing our net worth broken out by account. I update it 4 times per year. I also have a sheet that shows our budget, and one that shows our financial goals through retirement age.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Yes! -- We are retired now and I believe it's as important as ever for my wife, kids and grandkids --- to have a documented record of what we have, where it is, account numbers, overall retirement strategy, insurance, LTC plans, etc .... along with Trust documents and related materials. (I've seen a number of cases where something unexpected happened ... and those left behind had no idea of where anything was).

Additionally, reviewing and updating these records at least once-per-year, forces me to stay on top of 'the plan' and make sure that investment strategies/returns, budgets and plans are still on-target.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
I do it quarterly. I like to run my personal finances like a business too.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I use Mint.com so I have access to everything on my phone/laptop/our tablet anytime I want I also have a spreadsheet on Google Drive (thus also accessible from anywhere on those devices) for more detailed "play" scenarios if I am trying to calculate something.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
Today I did a couple things for our college aged children. I opened a ROTH IRA for each of them. I used $ from savings accounts (each under $1,000) we had created for them when they were little for birthday money from relatives and odd jobs they did. they never touched that money.

The next thing I did was to create a financial statement for each of them. Just like mine.

I updated everything as well as I could. I guestimated the values of their vehicles and their new ROTH. I added a little something for their personal items/furniture etc. and then input their student loans with a schedule on the side so they can update each semester as they go. It then floods to the FS. I love spreadsheets

I emailed it to them and then called them to explain it. Hopefully, this gives them a foundation for discipline and the importance of having a plan and a track to run on. I have a feeling my daughter is already crunching numbers to see where her first $1m will come from!

Who knows if this will have any impact. All you can do is try. The rest is up to them. No one did anything like this for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance