Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times

Advertisements

My father took out a huge private student loan from a bank for me over seven years ago while I was in college for about thirty thousand dollars. The bank has been sending me collection notices, and three years ago, they put a judgment against him. Although he never appeared, or he did and I don't know about it, the court dismissed the judgment against us because the bank failed to submit sufficient documentation that the loan and promissory note were legitimate.

Now, three years later, I'm still receiving debt collection notices attempting to collect the debt from my father and I for the bank. I have retained the original order of dismissal from the court from three years ago.

Do I still have to pay this debt if the bank couldn't produce proof that it was legitimate to the court, or do I notify the debt collector and the bank that we dispute the validity of the debt? What to do? Can the bank still collect if the loan they gave us was invalid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
The court dismissed the judgement, not the debt itself. You still owe the money.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Can the bank still collect if the loan they gave us was invalid?
But the loan wasn't invalid, was it? It sounds to me like the court dismissed the judgement on a technicality becauser the bank didn't produce the proper paperwork at the time. But it was a valid loan, and you used the money and (hopefully) received the education that the money was borrowed to obtain. You still owe the money.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 12,535,636 times
How was it dismissed - with or without prejudice? Either way they can try to collect, but, if it were dismissed 'with prejudice' then they cannot file another suit on it again. If it were dismissed 'without prejudice' then they can file another suit.

If it was a true private student loan, not backed by government funds, then there is a collection SOL. If the loan was made in DC (where your heading says you are) then the SOL for written accounts is 3 years from the cause of action (default) , but, you cannot count the time period from when the suit was first filed until the time it was dismissed. You should look up your states SOL and Tolling Statutes, and probably talk to a lawyer. If it is past SOL then you have a legal right to send them a SOL letter informing them that it has passed your states collection SOL.

If your father had used a lawyer, or has a lawyer, have him talk to the lawyer about it.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
How was it dismissed - with or without prejudice? Either way they can try to collect, but, if it were dismissed 'with prejudice' then they cannot file another suit on it again. If it were dismissed 'without prejudice' then they can file another suit.

If it was a true private student loan, not backed by government funds, then there is a collection SOL. If the loan was made in DC (where your heading says you are) then the SOL for written accounts is 3 years from the cause of action (default) , but, you cannot count the time period from when the suit was first filed until the time it was dismissed. You should look up your states SOL and Tolling Statutes, and probably talk to a lawyer. If it is past SOL then you have a legal right to send them a SOL letter informing them that it has passed your states collection SOL.

If your father had used a lawyer, or has a lawyer, have him talk to the lawyer about it.
Or, the OP could just pay the damn thing back since he acknowledges that the debt is legitimate.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Or, the OP could just pay the damn thing back since he acknowledges that the debt is legitimate.
Seriously!
How horrible that the OP left his father in the lurch like that.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
This sounds like another one of those "The police office spelled my name wrong on the speeding ticket, do I still have to pay it?" but on a much larger scale.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
A) Let's leave the morality out of it.

B) It is not the OP's debt.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
A) Let's leave the morality out of it.
What does morality have to do with it? It's a legal issue, as far as I'm concerened.

And even beyond that, think about the overall cost to society when someone defaults on a loan. If the next guy in line can't get a loan because the lender is gunshy, or if he has to pay a higher interest rate to cover the cost of the defaulted loans the lender has to cover, people like the OP whose plan for repayment is to figure out how to avoid repaying it are at fault.

Quote:
B) It is not the OP's debt.
True.

So the dad should pay it, and to hell with him because we need to leave the morality out of it. Do you like that answer better?

And that being said, if the OP isn't responsible for the debt, why is he getting the collection notices rather than the dad? I'm pretty sure we're not getting the whole story here.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
What does morality have to do with it? It's a legal issue, as far as I'm concerened.

And even beyond that, think about the overall cost to society when someone defaults on a loan. If the next guy in line can't get a loan because the lender is gunshy, or if he has to pay a higher interest rate to cover the cost of the defaulted loans the lender has to cover, people like the OP whose plan for repayment is to figure out how to avoid repaying it are at fault.
If you acknowledge that it's a legal issue why are you telling him to pay before we have even established if the statute of limitations has expired?

Quote:
True.

So the dad should pay it, and to hell with him because we need to leave the morality out of it. Do you like that answer better?

And that being said, if the OP isn't responsible for the debt, why is he getting the collection notices rather than the dad? I'm pretty sure we're not getting the whole story here.
Debt collectors (almost certainly who is handling this now) are famous for illegal and unethical behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance