Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times

Advertisements

You'd think that it would be cheaper to live in two's rather than single, yet a disproportionate number of young adults (18-31) are living at home with their parents:

Quote:
A record total of 21.6 million Millennials were living in their parents’ home in 2012, up from 18.5 million of their same aged counterparts in 2007. Of these, at least a third and perhaps as many as half are college students.
Now combine this with the skyrocketing cost of living (e.g. going on a date: $100 movie/dinner) when the average wage is $10-12/hr. and one can see why guys are in a panic over not being able to get a GF---even if they could attract a nice girl how could they take her to their parent's house, let alone afford a nice hotel room?

I'm speaking generally here, but pointing toward a trend: it's getting more and more expensive to breathe. Will this society eventually force young people to just not be able to have kids, a nice home, and a decent quality of life?

I go out shopping and, granted I shop at Whole Foods, which a lot of people call "Whole Paycheck" and for good reason. It's rare I can walk out of there with maybe 7-8 items without spending $30-40. I just don't know how young couples with two kids are surviving if they aren't doctors, lawyers or similar professionals.

Can the younger ones around here who are clawing their way to the top (or trying to) relate to what I am saying here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:58 PM

332 posts, read 436,321 times
The cost of divorce will make us a nation of singles.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM

706 posts, read 1,206,327 times
That's ridiculous! I know plenty of people who are not doctors and lawyers who live well. They even have a single income come home. They don't wear designer clothing, eat at fancy restaurants, drive fancy cars or have a huge houses.
THEY LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS

give me a break!!!

that is NOT the reason people stay single.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
$100 for a movie and dinner for two is extravagant. I don't know anyone who spends that kind of money on a date, especially the young people you're aiming your OP towards. You've set up an unrealistic scenario that doesn't reflect reality close enough for a fair discussion.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,486,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
That's ridiculous! I know plenty of people who are not doctors and lawyers who live well. They even have a single income come home. They don't wear designer clothing, eat at fancy restaurants, drive fancy cars or have a huge houses.

give me a break!!!

That is just false.

Bad economic prospects have always led to lower marriage rates. That has been true in every country, in every era. Look it up.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post

give me a break!!!

I've gotta agree with this, OP. It's still cheaper for two to occupy one apartment, than for singles to pay the whole rent and utilities themselves. It has nothing to do with the cost of a date.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,206,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
That is just false.

Bad economic prospects have always led to lower marriage rates. That has been true in every country, in every era. Look it up.
Not the people around me or I hang out with. And they don't all have college degrees.

Yet they have all gotten married and live in a small house with 2 kids. They don't vacation at Disney world or go on cruses. They go camping and things of the like.

OP if you are dating or wanting to date someone that expects you to spend that amount of money maybe it's the people you're trying to date.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've gotta agree with this, OP. It's still cheaper for two to occupy one apartment, than for singles to pay the whole rent and utilities themselves. It has nothing to do with the cost of a date.
In theory.................

Old 05-20-2014, 05:14 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
I'm somewhat taken aback at the initial number of negative responses. Somehow I miscalculated. Let's give this another try:

single guy wants to take a girl out on a nice date. he's working an average job. what should a nice date with a nice girl he wants to impress cost him?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm somewhat taken aback at the initial number of negative responses. Somehow I miscalculated. Let's give this another try:

single guy wants to take a girl out on a nice date. he's working an average job. what should a nice date with a nice girl he wants to impress cost him?
Start over.

If you are taking a girl out on a date, you are doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance