Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times

Advertisements

I am now living with my 80 plus year old mother, and taking care of her. She needs financial help, and so I was thinking about paying her rent, rather than just gifting her the money, as this will enable her to obtain loans if she needs them on her property, by raising her income. I checked, and the amount I will pay, which is fair market value, will not raise her income taxes, but she does have extremely low taxes due to Prop 13. Will renting from her jeopardize her low property taxes? She doesn't intend to depreciate any of the property, and does not need to do so in order to avoid paying any additional income tax. So this is my one concern.

I appreciate any and all help on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
I have no idea about the prop 13 implications. However, heads up on the depreciation issue. Depreciation isn't an option. You don't just get to decide whether or not you will take it.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Reassessment under Prop 13 only happens if the property is transferred or improvements made...

There are limited exceptions to transfer reassessment such as parent/child or between spouses and sometimes you may be able to take your exemption with you one time if you buy a less expensive home withing the county or one of the few counties that allow out of county transfers.

Renting the home will have no affect on taxes especially if your Mom still lives there... she would loose her Home Owner's exemption if she no longer lived there which typically is about $100 a year.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 PM

PS... your tax person can advise what tax benefits there are for Mom being a Landlord and you being a Tenant...

Also, many lenders severely discount rental income and some will not recognize it unless it shows up on several years of tax returns... it's a problem I have faced.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ping2learn View Post
I checked, and the amount I will pay, which is fair market value, will not raise her income taxes
It may not raise her tax rate, but it will increase the amount of tax she pays. For example, if she has to declare an additional $10,000 in rental income, she will need to pay state and federal tax ($3000 ?) on that income. If you gift her $10k, she owes no tax.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Reassessment under Prop 13 only happens if the property is transferred or improvements made...
^^^
This.

Renting - and her reporting the income opens up a whole different ball of wax.

Just live with her and pay for things. You don't have to 'gift' her the money. Pay the utilities, pay for the food, whatever she needs help with. If she still owes a mortgage, you can even pay that if you don't mind her getting the interest deduction.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ping2learn View Post
I am now living with my 80 plus year old mother, and taking care of her. She needs financial help, and so I was thinking about paying her rent, rather than just gifting her the money, as this will enable her to obtain loans if she needs them on her property, by raising her income. I checked, and the amount I will pay, which is fair market value, will not raise her income taxes, but she does have extremely low taxes due to Prop 13. Will renting from her jeopardize her low property taxes? She doesn't intend to depreciate any of the property, and does not need to do so in order to avoid paying any additional income tax. So this is my one concern.

I appreciate any and all help on this subject.
Whether she intends to depreciate the property or not, keep in mind, the IRS will assume depreciation has been occurring. All she would do is avoid any tax advantages now yet she would still have to recapture the depreciation (that she didn't even get!) should she sell later. There is no disadvantage of depreciating now. By depreciating now, she can offset the income.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Unless the plan is for you to inherit the home and along with it a stepped up basis...

Also parent child transfer should not affect prop 13 but it is not automatic... you must apply for it with the assessor along with supporting documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance