Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,469,332 times

Advertisements

News from The Associated Press

If this many people are not paying basic bills, this is a crisis. How are they going to pay for retirement, the kids college, or an emergency fund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,463,969 times
This is misleading. You go to the hospital ER, you pay your deductible, go about your life. Then you get a notice from a bill collector from Dr. A's office saying you owe X for unpaid services during your ER visit. You may well get your carrier to take care of this, but you were reported to a collection service.

Tis sort of thing is very common. No action to get payment is made. Just an automatic referral to collection.

Not near the crisis that is reported breathlessly by the AP

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM

22,656 posts, read 47,851,403 times
And there the sentence: " Their figures nearly match the 36.5 percent of people in collections reported by a 2004 Federal Reserve analysis."
So, not much has changed in 10 years.

I know a few people dealing with collection agencies, but they are not in monetary trouble at all. They had trouble getting a certain gym to stop billing them once they quit. Hardly a crisis...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,432,397 times
Quote:
I know a few people dealing with collection agencies, but they are not in monetary trouble at all. They had trouble getting a certain gym to stop billing them once they quit.
Also this illustates that the default action for major corporations is to send a bill to collections after sometimes as short as 1 month of attempting to collect, rather than working in-house with the customer and trying to work things out. It really just illustrates that collections is a big industry rather than anything else.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM

795 posts, read 1,271,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
This is misleading. You go to the hospital ER, you pay your deductible, go about your life. Then you get a notice from a bill collector from Dr. A's office saying you owe X for unpaid services during your ER visit. You may well get your carrier to take care of this, but you were reported to a collection service.

Tis sort of thing is very common. No action to get payment is made. Just an automatic referral to collection.

Not near the crisis that is reported breathlessly by the AP
Wow... that happened to me! VA was to pay 100% but the doc sent the bill to the wrong VA hospital. I knew nothing about it until I checked my credit score.

Called and told them which VA and then they got paid.

I'm sure they sent letters, but I moved to DC and the person in the house thought it was junk mail (I think). Either way, never got a letter or I would have taken care of it. Heck, why would I not? I did not have to pay...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM

21,933 posts, read 25,280,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Wow... that happened to me! VA was to pay 100% but the doc sent the bill to the wrong VA hospital. I knew nothing about it until I checked my credit score.

Called and told them which VA and then they got paid.

I'm sure they sent letters, but I moved to DC and the person in the house thought it was junk mail (I think). Either way, never got a letter or I would have taken care of it. Heck, why would I not? I did not have to pay...
Or in my case, Comcast. Apparently when I dropped my cable box off back in 2008, Comcast lost it/failed to document it. It was first reported on my credit report in 2012 and I only found out about it this month when I bought a car. I'm inclined to just let it sit there until it falls off my credit report since I've since most definitely lost the receipt I got when I dropped the cable box off at the Comcast location.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM

178 posts, read 258,941 times
There are lies damned lies and statistics. You have to look much more closer at the data to get a real picture.

These "crisis" keep coming up all the time. The student loan crisis, the millenials living at home crisis, etc.

In my case I can pay off my loans with cash 10 times over, and I just keep a tax residency at my parents' address.

So according to "statistics" I'm drowning in student loans debt and live in my parents basement.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,797,108 times
Take a look at the percentage of people more than 30 days late on their bills, it's 5%, that's your real number, everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,644,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Take a look at the percentage of people more than 30 days late on their bills, it's 5%, that's your real number, everything else is smoke and mirrors.
Does this 5% include those on payment plans to rehabilitate the arrears?

Does this include "charged off" debt still within the SOL time frame?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,447,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
News from The Associated Press

If this many people are not paying basic bills, this is a crisis. How are they going to pay for retirement, the kids college, or an emergency fund?
very misleading stat. i just got a letter from debt collections about a small bill from when our last child was born last december. it went to collections because i hadn't paid it, but I never received the original bill so i didn't know i owed.

don't know how much of the 35% i made up, but i'm hardly someone who can't pay basic bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance