Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

I bought a car in May (Nissan) 60 months 0% rate, 100% financed, ($30K)

They never asked me about my income, they pulled my credit report. Wrote up the Contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:47 AM

480 posts, read 1,183,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
dude you're loaded...do you really need a loan? If you plan this right, I would say you don't.

Good credit isn't always a good thing...it means you like to pay other people (banks) for things instead of saving up enough cash to pay for something upfront...in CASH...

sure...interest rates are cheap...but you're better off just paying cash. ALWAYS.
I understand the intent of your comments. As in most instances, there's always a cost-benefit analysis that must be considered.

Pulling 70K from an account that is returning an annual rate of greater than 10 percent per year just doesn't work mathematically.

For example: $70,000 auto loan at 1.5 percent over six years is an estimated $5000 in interest. (Note: Estimating a payment of $800 per month for the vehicle payment and assuming no vehicle trade-in.)

Keeping that same $70K in my 401K for that same 6 years at 10 percent per year generates over $12K in income.

Also, one must consider all sources of income during retirement and the income tax implications of this income. My accountant is still working some numbers but it's probably not a good idea to withdraw a $70K lump sum to pay for a truck in cash in addition to monthly withdraws to cover living expenses.

I'm sure there's some holes in this math but it's Saturday and I've got the smoker going in the back yard so this is some very quick numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance