Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Let's say you are working for ten bucks an hour. At that wage, basic food, rent, transportation, etc, will consume most of your budget. There is little for saving, and not a lot of adjustment can be made by choosing to spend more on X and less on Y.

Would this person be too poor to have any discretion in their personal finances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
If there is no money left there is nothing to have discretion with so it is a moot point.
If this person had even $3.00 left after all monthly obligations were paid and put 1/2 of that in a savings account it would eventually grow.
Obviously it would take a long time but if left alone and not taken out of the account it would be there and it would be gaining a wee bit of interest.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Your best bet then it to get a second part time job. I have done that when younger and many do now.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Let's say you are working for ten bucks an hour. At that wage, basic food, rent, transportation, etc, will consume most of your budget. There is little for saving, and not a lot of adjustment can be made by choosing to spend more on X and less on Y.

Would this person be too poor to have any discretion in their personal finances?

If you're asking whether a person can be too poor to have discretionary income, the answer is yes.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Let's say you are working for ten bucks an hour.
multiplied by how many hours actually worked?
(we'll get back to this detail)

Quote:
At that wage rate, basic food, rent, transportation, etc, will likely consume most of your
budget. There is little for saving, and not a lot of adjustment can be made by choosing to spend
more on X and less on Y.
Good thing spending adjustments aren't the only choices available... right?

Quote:
That depends entirely on how much they earn at that $10/hr wage rate.
Which means how many hours per week they work.

5hrs per week & $50?? 30 hrs per week & $300??
What about 80 hrs per week & $800??

Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
While one might not have much in the way of discretionary funds with a lower income, it is even more important for one with a lower income to exercise greater discretion in their spending.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
The statement frequently made when referring to companies and the government is also true about individual finances. You can't cut your way to riches.

Net Income is a basic formula. Income - Expenses. Sure, a lot of talk focuses on the Expenses side of that, but you'll see lots of topics here about job oppourtunities as well(though those tend to find their way to the Work and Employment board more often).

If you have $1, you're right, there's not a lot of choices in how you spend that $1. But that doesn't mean you don't have choices to make with regards to your personal finances. If you can't cut costs enough, you need to increase income.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
multiplied by how many hours actually worked?
(we'll get back to this detail)

Good thing spending adjustments aren't the only choices available... right?

That depends entirely on how much they earn at that $10/hr wage rate.
Which means how many hours per week they work.

5hrs per week & $50?? 30 hrs per week & $300??
What about 80 hrs per week & $800??
Let's just go with 40 hours for a gross income of about $1,600/month.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
I could do it and did, for a long time. Right now my absolutely 'have to pay' expenses every month come to right at $800 month. That includes $50 month I'm paying for my mom's Life Alert system. Add on another $400 for food, gas for the car, all household expenses, pets, etc. so $1200 mo. going out. I can still put a couple hundred into savings. Luckily for me though I do have a smallish SS check that also goes towards savings and, I admit, I do spend some on things I want and not absolute 'needs'. Of course, I haven't always had that SS 'cushion' but still managed to save some money for an EF. I usually have at least a couple hundred in checking when the next check gets deposited as well. So, it CAN be done but you have to work at it.

Maybe it's not fair to compare myself with someone who doesn't have that 'cushion' but I managed to do it when I didn't have it so I know it can be done.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I'm older. Semi retired. Own my house. Own my car. Don't owe anyone anything.
Exclusive of travel and medical... my day to day expenses are about $1200 a month
and I could shave 20% off that if I needed to.

But when I *did* need to work...
and the main reason why I don't need to now...
I'd never have stopped at 40 hours if all I could get was today's $10 per.

Someone might be able to get by on that (sharing and such)...
but they'll never get ahead or be able to raise a family on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance