Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
That why I don't let ANYONE draw from my Checking account, I PUSH money to them. I don't let them Pull it.
Me too. There are too many horror stories of cable companies, mortgage companies, etc "forgetting" that they are no longer supposed to draft your account and restarting things. You are then left to fight to get your money back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Tie it to you debit card if you must and then just cancel the debit card. But make sure you have notified whatever company you are cancelling.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
You set up ACH arrangement with company A, company A drives the train, you have to deal with company A.

A bank will not get involved in a customer dispute with a company. A banking customer can request research on transactions but the dispute is between him/her and the company.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Another item of note 90%+ of my bill transaction go to my Amex not my bank. Overdrafts aren't an issue in that case, maybe look at rerouting your payments

Perhaps a reduction in spending would be in order.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
I use bill pay on my bank's website, and do push transactions only, never pull.

I set up every recurring bill possible to automatically charge my rewards card, and earn cash back on my electric bill, my water, sewer, garbage bill, my phone bill, etc.

It works for me.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
90+% of My Spending goes on to my Credit Card, Pay it off each Month. Only Pay cash for item <$10 (and depending where I am I'll Charge items even less).

Keep me from carrying large amounts of cash. All my transaction are downloaded transaction by transaction into Quicken, So I can categorize every Thing I spend very easily.

For Cash item I try to use my Quicken App on my phone, but often forget to.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Makes no sense.

I also put as much as I can on the CC - AND I pay it off weekly. So worth it for the perks.
That does not mean I have excessive spending at all.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,313 times
Quote:
I wish we could take away reputation points. Just because the poster charges 90% of his bills to his AMEX, which he likely pays off in full every month, does not mean he needs to reduce spending. I prefer autopayments to go to the credit card instead of ACH from my checking account because I get points for those recurring charges (which are paid off every 30 days in full).

I've never had problems with ACH payments. I use it for my monthly mortgage payments, utilities, and car payment. If you need to change something, you need to contact the entity that is pulling the money. Most of these are setup online and you can discontinue it through the same process.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Thats why I don't use automated bill pay. I do use one credit card for most purchases but don't even have automated payment with it.

Anything that comes out of my checking account I write a check for it. It only takes a few minutes each month and is worth the time to do so,

I've seen too many problems with automated computer systems over the years to trust them.
Same here. And we don't pay online, either. We use automated phone-pay.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I have done nearly solely automated billpay (with the exception of paying a local contractor by check or something) since I graduated college 7.5 years ago and pretty much have had 0 problems. I hear of "too many problems" but I never run across them myself. Super convenient for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance