Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 05:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I think you are completely confused about what "capital" is.

Some landlords make little profit on their rentals, so no capital there. And they had to have capital to buy their first property, so paid rents didn't help them there.

Again, you paying rent is NO different than your employer paying your salary. That's where a lot of business owners get their capital.
Keep in mind most of the rental investment wealth is pay down of the principle and appreciation.

I know a guy who has 13 units in NJ. Every month his outstanding debt goes down $2,000 in principle reduction, and around $1,000 goes into his pocket (which really goes toward his emergency funds to fix broken things). This will only increase over time barring unforeseen economic calamities.

He has 15 year mortgages with around 10 left on them. After that, he'll have over a million in paid off properties (assuming no change in value) for which he can turn around and sell and purchase an annuity (ie buying a pension) or keep and collect the rent as another form of income.

He did this with little out of pocket. He basically paid a token amount on the first one, refurb'd it, and took out a mortgage for a higher amount of the new value and used that to purchase the next one. And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The score impact is only in the first 12 months and your link even says an inquiry typically drops your score minimally

Did also say in my response that the impact may be "minimal" and "not long lasting" but never the less...

Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Keep in mind most of the rental investment wealth is pay down of the principle and appreciation.

I know a guy who has 13 units in NJ. Every month his outstanding debt goes down $2,000 in principle reduction, and around $1,000 goes into his pocket (which really goes toward his emergency funds to fix broken things). This will only increase over time barring unforeseen economic calamities.

He has 15 year mortgages with around 10 left on them. After that, he'll have over a million in paid off properties (assuming no change in value) for which he can turn around and sell and purchase an annuity (ie buying a pension) or keep and collect the rent as another form of income.

He did this with little out of pocket. He basically paid a token amount on the first one, refurb'd it, and took out a mortgage for a higher amount of the new value and used that to purchase the next one. And so on.

People have been doing things along those lines for years when it comes to rental properties.

If you know what you are doing and especially how to wisely use credit/financing then the properties work for you. OTOH far to many do not know or understand and end up working for the properties or worse going into debt.

Examine the business habits of well off and or savvy business persons and you'll see they rarely use their "own" money to finance more than initial investments.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:

There are so many small investors in this sweet spot as your acquaintance. Of that $1,000/month that goes into his pocket, I would hazard a guess that a lot of it is tax deferred as depreciation.

The pay down of principal is a non-taxed event. The appreciation (capital gain tax) is deferred until he sells and even then it is taxed favorably or can be further delayed/eliminated. With 13 of them, he is doing pretty well. Why stop at 13?

The full tax benefits come from holding individual properties. Not REITs. Not private partnerships (although I do have both). And not even Self Directed IRA rental ownership (which I do not own). My wholly owned rentals are my best investment class.

The trick is to have good properties and good tenants. Both are doable with proper research.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
id like to get a no down payment mortgage.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

I paid off my landlord's mortgage and all I got was - heck, I didn't even get a crummy shirt.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People have been doing things along those lines for years when it comes to rental properties.

If you know what you are doing and especially how to wisely use credit/financing then the properties work for you. OTOH far to many do not know or understand and end up working for the properties or worse going into debt.

Examine the business habits of well off and or savvy business persons and you'll see they rarely use their "own" money to finance more than initial investments.

While their rental serfs use their own money and at the end have nothing to show for it.

Is this a great country or what?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:09 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While their rental serfs use their own money and at the end have nothing to show for it.

Is this a great country or what?
There are a couple of points to consider
  1. Everything needed to know to enter the class you loathe is available free of charge. All it takes is the time and effort to learn
  2. There is a relatively low cost of entry to become a landlord in this country

Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
I paid off my landlord's mortgage and all I got was - heck, I didn't even get a crummy shirt.

And you deserved nothing other than that which you paid for whic was a place to stay. Your landlord had the ability to make or lose money however you entered into a contract to occupy space for a set payment. You didn't deserve anything else

Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
what did you expect to get for it? if you wanted to own the place, then you should have bought it and not rented it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance