Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 07:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is an FCC regulation. In truth, the check clears much quicker than that, but this way a bank gets to use your money for a few days. They won't tell you that, they will tell you it is to protect them from you spending the money and then the check being returned.
If you are on good terms with the branch manager, they can sometimes (only if the issuing bank will cooperate) find out when the check has actually cleared the issuing bank and can have the hold released.
Are you sure on the FCC?

The truth is it does clear quicker than 10 days in 90%+ of the cases. We do and other financial institutions can return checks up to 30 days. I've had it happen many times in my location although it's rare that weeks after a check was deposited and cleared we got a return notice and had to back it out of the clients account. The 10 day hold time is simply protection for the bank.

If you don't like hold times use the fed fund wire transfer system
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I recently had a large check deposit (over $20,000) into my checking account drawn from another bank in another state and they would not release the funds to me for 10 days. I don't understand why it takes so long this day and age to put a hold on funds for ten days when banks have such quick computerized ways to transfer funds from one bank to another.
Any knowledge of why they still do this on large deposits?
They're required to release $5000 within 5 business days.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/12/229.13 (look for "large deposits", which refers back to the law)

Old 05-09-2015, 09:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I recently had a large check deposit (over $20,000) into my checking account drawn from another bank in another state and they would not release the funds to me for 10 days. I don't understand why it takes so long this day and age to put a hold on funds for ten days when banks have such quick computerized ways to transfer funds from one bank to another.
Any knowledge of why they still do this on large deposits?
It's not about transfers. It's an anti fraud regulation. They are analyzing your account and history for any possible fraud/criminal issues. When it all comes back clear, they will release the funds.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:14 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It may also depend on your history with the bank.
If you normally keep a lot of cash in the bank, it takes a lot more money for there to be a hold. In my experience.
Correct. If you carry an average balance of, for example, $40k, they might not place a hold. On the other hand, if you had $40k in the bank, you wouldn't care if the bank held $20k for 7 days.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that the bank can't hold the entire amount. Reg CC says they can only hold for 7 days, not 10, and they have to make $5000. of a large deposit on the next banking day.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:16 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are you sure on the FCC?

The truth is it does clear quicker than 10 days in 90%+ of the cases. We do and other financial institutions can return checks up to 30 days. I've had it happen many times in my location although it's rare that weeks after a check was deposited and cleared we got a return notice and had to back it out of the clients account. The 10 day hold time is simply protection for the bank.

If you don't like hold times use the fed fund wire transfer system
I meant Reg CC, not FCC, and it is 7 days, not 10.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It may also depend on your history with the bank.
If you normally keep a lot of cash in the bank, it takes a lot more money for there to be a hold. In my experience.
True. When I first opened my Wells Fargo account, I opened my account with a check for a little over $6,000. It took over three weeks for the check to clear, including weekends.

Now that I've had my account for quite some time, maintain a decent balance (largish by my standards, but probably not-so-large by theirs) and have never had an overdraft or bounced check, they usually give me credit the next day.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
These answers help explain the issue. Yes they did release $5,000 the next day, but the balance did take another 10 days. I usually have less than $10,000 in my account at any one time so I suppose that may have something to do with it.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
at least in my limited experience, the bank usually releases funds in about 3 days.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 AM

932 posts, read 899,227 times
yea its fcc regulations or whatever but usually it should be much faster then 10 days unless you deposited before the weekend

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
FCC is the Federal Communications Commission... as in the people who fine you when you swear on television.

FRB: Regulation CC (Availability of Funds and Collection of Checks)

Check clearing is part of the Federal Reserve system. As gentlearts later corrected, in particular it's "Regulation CC" in particular that covers it.

This has nothing to do with the FCC though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance