Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,015 times

Advertisements

Let's say you and your spouse are talking about getting a divorce. It's amicable and finances are not an issue (he/she makes quite a bit of money than you do they have no interest in making it a contested divorce). You have agreed upon a certain amount of $ that you will keep.

You want to take advantage of the low interest rates and the good timing in your career to buy a house and use the $ that your spouse leaves you as a down payment.

You would take out a mortgage in your name and the property will be in your name only.

Your spouse is on board with the plan and has no intentions of claiming the property during the divorce

Would you still wait or would you go ahead and buy it before starting the divorce proceedings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:16 PM

22,637 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Since you are using your money and qualifying for the mortgage with your income, I don't see a problem.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:20 PM

125 posts, read 128,452 times
I'd check out the state laws regarding this, because in most places any assets bought before a final divorce decree are considered joint assets. Even though you say its amicable divorce can make even nice people mean. JMO

Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,015 times
Wouln't the spouse who makes more money than you be interested in keeping it amicable though instead of making it contested and potentially losing more?

The money is in the joint bank account for as much as it's worth.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:40 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,648,735 times
I live in a community prop state so even a loan in one name would be deeded to both parties. Why not accelerate the divorce if that's where it's going?

Old 05-15-2015, 03:45 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Let's say you and your spouse are talking about getting a divorce. It's amicable and finances are not an issue (he/she makes quite a bit of money than you do they have no interest in making it a contested divorce). You have agreed upon a certain amount of $ that you will keep.

You want to take advantage of the low interest rates and the good timing in your career to buy a house and use the $ that your spouse leaves you as a down payment.

You would take out a mortgage in your name and the property will be in your name only.

Your spouse is on board with the plan and has no intentions of claiming the property during the divorce

Would you still wait or would you go ahead and buy it before starting the divorce proceedings?
Are there any kids in the picture?

At any rate, I would take the question to an attorney first just to be sure. Sometimes the legal truth may surprise you. For example, because "home equity" is a privileged asset class for many things, it may look like you are suspiciously trying to "shield" assets. While it may not be true, this type of legal assessment is just not something I'd feel really comfortable doing on my own. It's too big a decision to risk it, IMO.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 PM

17,409 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Check with your divorce atty....

Old 05-15-2015, 09:56 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,883,238 times
My parents did that... but that was oh... 20 years ago at least.

They used the same lawyer, filled out all the paper work with what each was getting, signed it and went to the court date. No one really looked into anything because no one fought about anything.

My mother had her house purchased with money from the marriage before the divorce occurred.

But yah... talk to the lawyer involved.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,783,522 times
I can't imagine the potential rise in interest rates between now and the time the divorce happens being worth the additional cost in lawyers it would take to ensure this went smoothly.

To me, it just doesn't seem worth it. Wait until your final unless you still think there's a chance of this divorce not happening. People were claiming interest rates were going to suddenly spike 5 years ago... we're barely above the rates at that time.

It's just not worth the complications in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
I believe it is possible to enter into a legal separation, in which he settlement terms can be mutually agreed upon prior to the actual divorce, and would then be judicially enforceable. The divorce court judge could overturn it, but it would b e extremely rare for him to do so unless there was some kind of outrageous victimization apparent. Your state may vary.

If you're getting a divorce anyway, have your divorce attorneys advise you on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance