Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 AM

32 posts, read 27,860 times

Advertisements

I'm college educated and now a part of the middle class however I grew up in a poor neighborhood. A lot of people that I grew up with but, no longer associate with are still there. I know if I was to receive some sort of financial windfall tomorrow, I would have to move. It would be impossible to keep that secret. If you were to suddenly become wealthy, would you have any desire to move to get away from all of the friends and distant relatives that would suddenly come around or would you stay right where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
The people I call my friends and relatives would not suddenly come around because I came to money...at least that's what I believe. If someone did, they would cease to be in my circle of people.

I would do what I would do for me, I would not be made to move or do other things. Especially if I had money. That said, I would give some to my loved ones.

I'm secure and would not need to keep secrets.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I would stay in the area and lie to my friends and say that I got money because my father won the lottery and he game me some money.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,018 times
It could possibly depend on how much of a jerk the money turns you into.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Money won't change me, but I don't want others to like me only because of my money, that's why I won't be driving fancy cars or buy a $10 million dollar home even if I win $100 million.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
I was once told that money doesn't change you, so much as enable a more unvarnished expression of yourself. I'll leave that up for the Forum to judge.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:17 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareed View Post
I'm college educated and now a part of the middle class however I grew up in a poor neighborhood. A lot of people that I grew up with but, no longer associate with are still there. I know if I was to receive some sort of financial windfall tomorrow, I would have to move. It would be impossible to keep that secret. If you were to suddenly become wealthy, would you have any desire to move to get away from all of the friends and distant relatives that would suddenly come around or would you stay right where you are?
You can do what my cousin did. He went on a game show and won a lot of money. It was on TV so everyone knew.

He took the initiative by inviting all his friend/relative each to a big lavish meal at a nice restaurant. Afterwards, everyone got the message - "I've done you right and I don't owe you squad." As far as I know, no one went to him for money.

If anyone dare to stick a hand out after that, cut that person off immediately. Unless it's your parent or sibling or somebody really close.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I would absolutely move. The only family I would want around me would be my parents, most everyone else im not close with anyways.

As far as change you, I think it would inevitably, at least in some ways for good or bad.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:56 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
"It's tough to handle
This fortune and fame
Everybody's so different
I haven't changed"
-Joe Walsh

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 PM

11 posts, read 9,840 times
You will have amazing opportunities in your life when you win. Unfortuney most or all of your old family and friends(except maybe parents and siblings but sometimes even then) will not be happy for you. They will say that you didn't work for it(lol) so you should share. You don't deserve all that money so why save and invest when you could pay for them to live great lives? You have to be realistic about your money because it can go just as easily as it came. Your job is to take care of yourself your kids and certain close friends and family but that's it. If more than 5 people want money from you you're being to kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance