Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times

Advertisements

CK calculates differently then FICO. Both aggregate and individual utilization are considered in scores.

You could have 1% aggregate but 90% on one small card and your FICO would tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Ck displays my utilization as outstanding balance/credit limit

I thought you were asking about how someone like Citi reports utilization(as in if you have two cards with citi, do they combine for their report to the credit unions).

If you go to the bottom of that page, it allows you to view the utilization by account. I know that having one card that was maxed(it was a 0% offer) tanked my score a bit, even though my total utilization.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
You're missing out if you don't get in on the rotating categories.

I have:

Discover IT (Rotating 5%)
Chase Freedom (Rotating 5%)
Fidelity Amex (2% everywhere)
Bank of America Cash Rewards (3% gas)
Amazon Visa (3% Amazon)
i started working to maximize rewards/cash back about a year or so ago and i am already looking to give it up. im just tired of it and im now considering what is my best strategy going forward while trying to keep things relatively simple. part of me just wants to go back to only using my fidelity amex (and maybe united explorer for non-amex merchants).

Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 AM

306 posts, read 550,100 times
Right now if you have a Discover IT card and call them, they have a promo that ALL cash back over the next 12 months will be doubled on month 13... It just became a 2% card with rotating 10% categories (although there is a delay for the second half until month 13).... I still question whether the rotated 5% will double, but even if it does not still a heck of a deal, and everyone has been saying that when talking to their customer service that it will.

Seems like a pretty simple and good pay back card.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I use an American Express Cash Back Blue. It does not have rotating categories and I think is 3% gas/groceries and 1% everywhere else.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
Right now if you have a Discover IT card and call them, they have a promo that ALL cash back over the next 12 months will be doubled on month 13... It just became a 2% card with rotating 10% categories (although there is a delay for the second half until month 13).... I still question whether the rotated 5% will double, but even if it does not still a heck of a deal, and everyone has been saying that when talking to their customer service that it will.

Seems like a pretty simple and good pay back card.
I have not been able to find that on the web, do you have a link for it or can you scan something that possibly they sent you and post it? Thank you in advance.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 AM

346 posts, read 549,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
And you are able to do automatic charges like Water Bill, Cable Internet, etc. with no problem? That sounds like what I need to do. And by "before the statement cuts" ...you mean just send them a payment without getting the statement yet?
Our utility company won't allow us to use a credit card for payments but we do use the Citicard Doublecash for our other usual payments like cable, Internet, cell phone, auto insurance, etc. I track our spending closely (but you can also just look online and see how much is posted and pending on the card at any given time) and make a payment once a week via online bill pay. You don't need to have a statement to send in a payment. Doing that for all our cards (we use AMEX Everyday for groceries and occasionally use Chase Freedom for the 5% cash back categories) keeps our monthly credit utilization below 1%.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i started working to maximize rewards/cash back about a year or so ago and i am already looking to give it up. im just tired of it and im now considering what is my best strategy going forward while trying to keep things relatively simple. part of me just wants to go back to only using my fidelity amex (and maybe united explorer for non-amex merchants).
I am getting tired of it, too. Mainly because many card issuers will only allow you to cash out in increments of $25. Well, if I have a card I only use occasionally when it is offering 5% cash back on something, it is going to take a long time to get to $25.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I use an American Express Cash Back Blue. It does not have rotating categories and I think is 3% gas/groceries and 1% everywhere else.

It is 3% groceries, 2% gas, and 1% everything else. My regular grocery store does not accept AmEx. For this reason, the Citi Double Cash MC (2% on everything) is a better card for me.

But, I do love the "offers" on my AmEx Blue. Occasionally, you can pick up some sweet deals.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:56 PM

306 posts, read 550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I have not been able to find that on the web, do you have a link for it or can you scan something that possibly they sent you and post it? Thank you in advance.
It has been posted in a couple forums - It is not advertised, and you must call to ask for it, window will close at end of the month... If you call and ask about the double cash back promotion they will add it to your card and have you back to your day in about 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance